Anyone have info on MarinAire ?

Aug 11, 2010
Hunter 41DS Bristol, RI
Hello.
Does anyone have any info on MarinAire?
MarinAire seem to be quality units, but I can't find any reviews. The prices are great.
I need a 16,000 and 9,000, but not budgeted for Dometic higher prices.
Thank you

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
MarineAire 16,000 BTUH was installed new in my Hunter 356 - 2003. We have 1027 days in-board and it ran near continuously during our Florida cruise in 2013 - 2014 for 6 months. So far, no issues at all. If I were changing it out, I'd buy a new one unless they were bought out and I suspected their quality control had gone down.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
MarinAire is a knockoff of MarineAir by Dometic. Note the slight of hand with the letter E.
My son-in-law replaced his with the knockoff and didn't note the difference. I replaced mine with the made in USA Dometic unit. All in all.. mine cost $180 more for the 8K unit. BTW my Dometic fit the same spot as my 14 yr old 7K MarineAir. The Dometic design is very efficient on power draw when compared to the knockoff.

BTW after one year, both units work great.
Jim...

Aug 11, 2010
Hunter 41DS Bristol, RI
I've heard many were sold in NJ and NY for the past few years, but I can't find many reviews for MarinAire

Aug 11, 2010
Hunter 41DS Bristol, RI
Jim, what has been your son-in-law's experience with his MarinAire?
My research shows the engineering and materials are high quality, but there just aren't many reviews.
Thanks

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
what has been your son-in-law's experience with his MarinAire
So far so good...;)
He runs his 24/7 during boating season. I use my Dometic for humidity control in berth. The fan runs 24/7 and compressor runs to maintain temperatures.

Dometic. The value is there.
:plus:
Last year I had replace mine after attempted repair. It was a good thing since the previous owner had me doing AC on the marina which led to salt crystals forming on the coil before I bought it.

Since mine was a replacement and the compartment was limited size, I found only 3 brands to fit. The engineer in me wanted efficiency. Basically the new Dometic 8k was the same as their old 7k with new coil cooling and compressor design. It actually pulls less 120VAC amps than the 7k unit. The extra money I spent was their new Thermostat controller, my old worked but alas no luck.

The question I would ask is...."Where to get warranty work done on your new model?"

I didn't have to run new cooling water line, pump, power wire, controller cable, or duct work. All that adds to whatever system you decide to buy.

Did you hear the story of the man that fell off the 30 story building?
Someone on the 15 floor heard him yelling as he went by...
"So far So good...";)

Jim...

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Dometic bought Marine-Air and The product line has been renamed AC units Marinair.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Sorry for my response. I think the spelling was what I missed. I have the original Hunter model installed. Probably the one now made by Dometic.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I think the spelling was what I missed
You are not the only one.

My OEM's were Marine-Air , also. When I discovered the slight of hand with the letter "E" I was a bit miffed and alerted the forum in link to my post above.

Here is a picture of my working 16K BTU unit's Marine-Air® label, that has many hours of use since 1999.:clap:
16kAC.jpeg

They are still made in Pompano Beach FL USA.

To me, 14 years of boat use is another Vote for Dometic® brand.
Jim...

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we've had 2 of these units. the real Marine Airr out of FL actually has humans to answer tech questions. it' good company to deal with. don't forget to bleed the air out at haul in , clear the weeds clogging the pump raw water filter, and winterize the water pump properly...

Aug 11, 2010
Hunter 41DS Bristol, RI
Jim, what has been your son-in-law's experience with his MarinAire?
My research shows the engineering and materials are high quality, but there just aren't many reviews.
Thanks
I installed the Marinaire air conditioners 7 years ago now and love it! Never have had a problem.
never. And the reverse cycle works great in the Fall and Spring. Very warm. NOTE: the water temp needs to be above 40 degrees. Excellent product!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Does anyone have any info on MarinAire?
Our 1991 boat has the original MarineAire reverse cycle units that still do the job. The main cabin 16000 BTU unit has never been touched since we purchased the boat in 2002. We did recharge the 9000 BTU aft cabin unit a few years ago with no leaks identified. if at some point in the future they need to be replaced, we will replace with same.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We did recharge the 9000 BTU aft cabin unit a few years ago with no leaks identified.
There is reason why.

The oil used with the Refrigerant will slowly degrade.

The compressor pumps many millions of time when running.
There is a "Inline Filter" to remove the degraded oil particles out of oil/refrigerant mixture.

When full recharge needed, they should change that filter, but not always.
It depends on the Compressor handling the required pressure, after the recharge.

RefrigTestValves.jpeg

Jim...