Another NorEaster?

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I hear a lot of alarm, but I don't see many folks attempting to not use airliners cars or electricity..
I know that change is happening but all I hear is moaning and groaning and no solution that can be reasonably implemented... .
There are a lot of examples, if you look for it. Just look at the increase of solar installations nation-wide. Car and fleet fuel economy has increased, and emissions are lower. On a personal level, in 2011, we put in a ground source heat pump (geothermal) to heat our house. Besides working well and being an energy miser, it's paid for itself in fuel savings. Until recently, I paid extra for electricity from wind generation, but just signed onto a local commercial solar project which will sell electricity cheaper than the normal utility channels. We use solar power on the boat, so no shore power needed, but our marina just installed a whole bunch of solar panels and expects to be able to produce all their energy via solar in the near future. Our main car is a Sonata hybrid. My boat hauler is an Expedition, so I guess we're just going for average fleet fuel economy there. So there is change, albeit too slow, and our nation needs to do more, if only for our kid's future.

For you all on the coast, please keep this 4th nor'easter to yourselves! I'm getting sick of plowing it inland in central NY. It looks like this one is gonna miss us, though. My son is a lineman, so he's spent a lot of time on the coast fixing outages this winter. He loves storms more than even I dislike them. But spring is on the way. There are some signs...

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
These Nor'easters are raising havoc with coastal New England. Our yacht club in Quincy, MA, has been flooded at least once that I know of.
Lots of unusual weather on Maui this winter, too. Not so much trade winds as cool, wet fronts covering the whole state. The coastal highway in West Maui has been moved inland because of constant erosion due to higher tides and wave action.
On the plus side, Maui electric closed one of it's diesel power plants because solar and wind power have increased significantly.
On the home front, we produce more power with our solar panels than we use. Even the hot water heater has it's own solar panels. We also catch rainwater for use in the house, conserving this valuable resource. We also upgraded our solar panels on our boat to 320 watts, and power our dinghy with a Torqeedo electric outboard.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Know you guys are enjoying the break between storms.
Taking a break here at the condo on the east side of the Cascades. Getting ready for a hike along the river, after I finish my coffee. Sun is awful nice.
15D25601-C628-49EF-9C80-7A6340B7CAFA.jpeg

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
The calm before the 4th Nor'easter in 3 weeks......
I will start my preparations for commissioning this weekend come hell or high snow drifts....
My surgeon has granted me permission to climb a ladder now, been hitting the gym since Jan., and I am tired of just looking at her and taking pictures.....
4th Nor'easter in 3 weeks.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0133.JPG