Another NorEaster?

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I don't no if that is the correct spelling, but I am getting a little tired of this weather. Yea I know it is March, but the colder then normal temps and these "storms" are putting a dent in my to do list.
Any reason for the weather change to the cold side? I posted this because I can rely on answers from this form. :mad:

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
In the last three weeks up at camp we've had about 4'.... I dumped it yesterday morning while tree skiing, one ski went under a downed tree that was buried, and over the handlebars I went. It took me almost 45 min to find my ski in chest deep snow. As good as the skiing was I was back at the camp by 9:30 am icing my knee.... Oh and it was 9F... Definitely did not feel like "spring skiing"...

I suppose I did better than my brother who went out for an evening snowmobile jaunt with my niece and they buried the machine.. It took him 2 hours to get it out. He's just lucky his tow rope and 4" wide ratchet strap were with him or he and Abby would have had a very, very long walk back to the nearest road.

At this rate we'll be skiing into June and launching in August...:wink:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
25 years ago on March 13 it started snowing in Syracuse and it snowed and snowed and when we were done there was about 50+ inches on the ground. We had booked an early April charter in the Virgin Islands and thought how cool it will be to be skiing on a Friday afternoon and sailing on Saturday afternoon in two weeks. Off we went skiing a week before the charter, gorgeous March afternoon, sunny, good snow pack, enjoying friends and skiing. After dinner we took another couple of runs. Of course by then the temperature had dropped, the slopes had iced up, and my edges weren't up to the task. Earned another trip down the mountain on the Ski Patrol tobaggan, a trip the ER, and a missed charter. That was the 3rd break for that leg and the last trip down a ski mountain.

The good news about this next storm is the storm path is forecast to travel further off shore.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I was expecting snow again this week, but the forecast is now for sun all week. Cold as hell, but no snow.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I dumped it yesterday morning while tree skiing, one ski went under a downed tree that was buried, and over the handlebars I went. It took me almost 45 min to find my ski in chest deep snow. As good as the skiing was I was back at the camp by 9:30 am icing my knee/QUOTE]

My friend did the same at the beginning of the season several years ago and spent the next 6 to 9 months repairing his Achilles, which is not an easy fix!
I take it you weren't on a nice fat pair of powder skis so that you would float right over those deadfalls? :poke:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The frustrating part is that we already had spring in February. Now we may be doomed to winter in March and April, which is becoming normal, now.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I love MaineSail's winter posts. Just when I think it couldn't be worse here, he posts a tale that makes me think I had a balmy beach day.
BTW the Mrs. and I drove over to Montauk today to enjoy the sunny day and dream of spring. I don't think it got above freezing and there was a 18 to 20 knot breeze going that was decidedly not springlike. Nevertheless, Montauk is a natural wonder visually. There was little humidity in the air today so you could see houses on Block Island with the naked eye and the blades on the wind turbines off the south shore. It was disappointing that I couldn't see the Newport Bridge with the binox, which I have before, but the wind was making it hard to hold still enough.
Let it be spring.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I don't no if that is the correct spelling, but I am getting a little tired of this weather. Yea I know it is March, but the colder then normal temps and these "storms" are putting a dent in my to do list.
Any reason for the weather change to the cold side? I posted this because I can rely on answers from this form. :mad:
Well ... I'm told it's caused by global warming?

I know, I know ... I don't believe it either. Which, I'm told, makes me a "science denier."

So, I give up. I got nothin. :(

Oct 10, 2011
Well ... I'm told it's caused by global warming?

I know, I know ... I don't believe it either. Which, I'm told, makes me a "science denier."

So, I give up. I got nothin. :(
Yea I agree with you. I believe they have now switched it to climate change.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I never get climate mixed up with weather.

Having grown up in New England, you know that March is one of the biggest snow months of winter. Yet in fact, April can be the killer when it comes to snow. I remember being stopped dead in my driveway with a 4 WD pick-up, more than once. I also remember working in shorts in April. That's weather.

On the other hand, climate is easily tracked over many years. Average global temperatures, melting ice caps - rising oceans are easily tracked data.

It's cold on my coast today, but that won't effect my Gulf of Maine, that is warming faster than most water bodies on Earth.

Oct 10, 2011
Someone please tell me how the temp has raised several degrees in the past years (how many years I don't know) causing the polar caps to melt?
I lived in Alaska for a couple of years and to tell you the truth when the temp is -10 and warms up to say -7 it still is not warm enough to melt ice.
I am not disclaiming global warming I just need a simple explanation.
I apologize in advance for this question not being sailing related.

Jan 11, 2014
Someone please tell me how the temp has raised several degrees in the past years (how many years I don't know) causing the polar caps to melt?
I lived in Alaska for a couple of years and to tell you the truth when the temp is -10 and warms up to say -7 it still is not warm enough to melt ice.
I am not disclaiming global warming I just need a simple explanation.
I apologize in advance for this question not being sailing related.
First, almost any question about weather is sailing related.

As TomY said, don't confuse daily weather variations with climate change. This past January there were days I was walking around in a T-shirt and 2 weeks when it seldom got above 5* F. That's weather.

In the poles there is a feedback loop. There is (was) a seasonal pattern in the arctic where ice melts every summer around August to September and then refreezes over the winter. The ice does a couple of things, first it reflects more sunlight than water or land and it has a chilling effect on local atmosphere. In spring, if you go to a ski area that is still open, the parking lot may be 10 or more degrees warmer than the slopes, that's because of the snow on the slope.

As the global atmosphere warms, a little more ice melts in the arctic than refreezes over the winter, at first it was probably imperceptible. Gradually the amount of ice declines exposing more water and land that warms up a few degrees, that causes more ice to melt exposing more land and water. Because the land and water is a little warmer, it takes longer to refreeze in the fall and winter and a little less ice is formed. It may not be readily apparent in the area of snow or ice cover, however, the depth of the ice or snow cover will be less. Less ice in the winter, quicker and more extensive melting in the summer and around we go in an ever increasing spiral of warming temperatures and reduced ice cover.

The other aspect of warming is increased temperature differentials, with more energy in the atomosphere (temperature is essentially a measure of the energy) the energy is discharged through storms with increasing intensity. Storm systems are the way energy is dissipated. A close analogy are on-shore and off-shore winds. As sailors we know that on hot sunny days we can get strong onshore breezes in the afternoon, however, on cool cloudy days the breeze won't fill in. The same happens on a global scale.

Let's take a look at SailNoProblem's example. Assume that the average winter temperature in Alaska has been -10 for years and that the average rise in temperature from January to July is 40 degrees. Back in the old days the average July temperature would only be 30 degrees, still below freezing and any thawing would be the result of solar radiation. Now move forward a few years, where the average January temperature is now -7 degrees, with a 30 degree rise in temperature, the July temp is now 33 degrees and ice melt is occurring because of solar radiation and air temperature, more ice will melt, there will be less ice the following winter and temperatures will warm faster the following year.

Is this helpful?

Oct 10, 2011
First, almost any question about weather is sailing related.

As TomY said, don't confuse daily weather variations with climate change. This past January there were days I was walking around in a T-shirt and 2 weeks when it seldom got above 5* F. That's weather.

In the poles there is a feedback loop. There is (was) a seasonal pattern in the arctic where ice melts every summer around August to September and then refreezes over the winter. The ice does a couple of things, first it reflects more sunlight than water or land and it has a chilling effect on local atmosphere. In spring, if you go to a ski area that is still open, the parking lot may be 10 or more degrees warmer than the slopes, that's because of the snow on the slope.

As the global atmosphere warms, a little more ice melts in the arctic than refreezes over the winter, at first it was probably imperceptible. Gradually the amount of ice declines exposing more water and land that warms up a few degrees, that causes more ice to melt exposing more land and water. Because the land and water is a little warmer, it takes longer to refreeze in the fall and winter and a little less ice is formed. It may not be readily apparent in the area of snow or ice cover, however, the depth of the ice or snow cover will be less. Less ice in the winter, quicker and more extensive melting in the summer and around we go in an ever increasing spiral of warming temperatures and reduced ice cover.

The other aspect of warming is increased temperature differentials, with more energy in the atomosphere (temperature is essentially a measure of the energy) the energy is discharged through storms with increasing intensity. Storm systems are the way energy is dissipated. A close analogy are on-shore and off-shore winds. As sailors we know that on hot sunny days we can get strong onshore breezes in the afternoon, however, on cool cloudy days the breeze won't fill in. The same happens on a global scale.
Nice explanation, I don't totally agree, but thank you. My problem is that over the years we here in Jersey have lost our beautiful Spring season. We have a much shorter Summer. Winter just seems to linger way to long. Just my take on the subject. (I hate winter, have hade enough cold in my life. Will be spending more time in Sanibel and Pine Island.)
Let's take a look at SailNoProblem's example. Assume that the average winter temperature in Alaska has been -10 for years and that the average rise in temperature from January to July is 40 degrees. Back in the old days the average July temperature would only be 30 degrees, still below freezing and any thawing would be the result of solar radiation. Now move forward a few years, where the average January temperature is now -7 degrees, with a 30 degree rise in temperature, the July temp is now 33 degrees and ice melt is occurring because of solar radiation and air temperature, more ice will melt, there will be less ice the following winter and temperatures will warm faster the following year.

Is this helpful?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I hear a lot of alarm, but I don't see many folks attempting to not use airliners or cars or electricity..
I know that change is happening but all I hear is moaning and groaning and no solution that can be reasonably implemented. Things like railroads could be used to move lots more freight much more economically than trucks, for instance, but no one is interested in making that happen.. Many other examples..

Oct 10, 2011
My problem that here in Jersey over the past years we seem to have lost our beautiful spring weather (temp), and to me it seems our summers are shorter in length(temp. wise). But that is just my opinion.
Guess I will be spending more time in Sanibel and Pine Island.

Jan 11, 2014
I hear a lot of alarm, but I don't see many folks attempting to not use airliners or cars or electricity..
I know that change is happening but all I hear is moaning and groaning and no solution that can be reasonably implemented. Things like railroads could be used to move lots more freight much more economically than trucks, for instance, but no one is interested in making that happen.. Many other examples..
Airlines and aircraft manufacturers (Boeing) are working to reduce energy consumption. The new 787 is built of carbon fiber to be lighter and thus burn less fuel. Those winglets appearing on the tips of airplane wings are there to reduce drag and thus reduce fuel consumption. And engine manufacturers are making more more efficient engines. Freight railroads are doing just fine around here, unfortunately often late at night with their horns blowing :mad:. Many of them are train/truck cars with trailers riding on flatbed cars.

Some of the changes are not that visible, a few years back I replaced my 80% efficient furnace with a 98% efficient furnace and added more insulation. There are more wind farms and solar panels out there. We keep moving towards electric and hybrid cars. Solar cooking is also coming of age, see for example Best Solar Ovens and Solar Cookers

There remain issues to be solved, in particular energy storage. Elon Musk isn't in the business of selling electric cars, he's trying to find a way to make high capacity efficient and economical energy storage systems. Nigel Calder and Maine Sail are both looking at ways to install lithium battery systems in boats which will reduce fossil fuel consumption. Calder's goal is to design a battery system that will fully recharge through the normal operations of a sailboat, i.e., when the engine would be run for some other purpose such as while anchoring or docking.

Will it be enough? And soon enough? I don't think anyone knows. Certainly we in the US are in the envious position of have the wealth to lead the way, if we don't completely abandon our leadership position.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
25 years ago on March 13 it started snowing in Syracuse
We didn't get the snow but that day here on the West Coast of FL. we did get what is known as the No Name Storm. Completely unexpected. Hurricane force winds from the southwest brought us a nine foot surge of water. Put three feet of salt water in my house. That was an anomaly. Last two floods only put a foot in.
Now, I have been in this house for 29 years. My back porch sits six feet above MEAN LOW tide and is about fourty feet from the water's edge. I'm on a tidal bayou. I have noticed over the years that a really high astronomical tide creeps closer to my back door. In fact, at times, completely submerging my land next door and flooding over the road. I'm well aware of the difference between weather and climate. No one can tell me that this is all a hoax.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
BTW, NorEaster is spelled Nor'easter. Need the apostrophe. Where's Kermit, the apostrophe guru? :)