Another newbie mistake

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
We went to the lake to sail on the last weekend before kids go back to school tomorrow, but the lake level has loose 2 o 3 feet so I decided to take the boat to the common boat ramp, that is literally in front of our house crossing a small dirt road, so I don't have to do nothing, just take the boat with the truck to the ramp!! I forgot that crossing the dirt road there was the
electricity cables, that powers all the houses in the street, result:
- Forestay cut
- middle shroud cut
- 2 hours without power in 3 km around until the power company change the fuses
20180303_165137.jpg 20180303_165118.jpg 20180303_165115.jpg 20180303_165112.jpg IMG-20180303-WA0008.jpeg

Now I have to make the forestay and middle shroud, it is ok to make them locally or do I have to buy them from CD?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The rigging from CD is usually trim to fit and rigging shops usually like to refer to old rigging when making up new. There is no reason you could not source them locally from a chandlery or sailboat rigger.
Bet that got your attention, co worker was cutting the overhead wires at a house with a "mechanical axe" . Special cutter on a non-conducting wood pole, blew a large chuck of the steel blade into nothingness, very much like being near a lightening strike.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The top of my hobie 18 mast was composite instead of aluminum because boaters raise masts into powerlines all the time. :what:

Glad all you have to do is make up some new stays

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Youch ! Glad you and the kids were ok ! That could have been much worse for you (911) or the boat for that matter (new mast and damaged deck etc.)

The kids must have a good story for their friends at school.
Not sure I'd even want to tell my wife. It's too bad you had witnesses.

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Dad, who is taking pictures? kids asked me (because of the flash lights), they where sitting in the truck, I felt the flashs and sound, saw the sparks and I remembered the cables, I stoped before any other damage, and tell them and my wife not to touch the truck in any way until it is safe, I reversed a few meters and get down to see every thing was secure, then get the boat back to the house :banghead:

Would be secure to use the old cables to make the new ones, what if they have melted an inch? I didn't have a partner to take the mast down and check the dimensions, next time I will take every thing down and take measures, where can I find OEM dimensions?.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Glad to hear everyone walked away unscathed!

The rigging from CD is usually trim to fit...
When I got a set from CD, it was all swaged to length (each shroud and stay is swaged on each end, so it isn't something you can cut and adjust at home without the right equipment). I don't recall giving CD any custom measurements - I just ordered their set for my model year and everything fit. Your mileage may vary...

But if you want to get it done locally, Stingy Sailor has measurements at https://stingysailor.com/2014/09/27/standing-rigging-replacement-2/ and I believe @CloudDiver has taken precise measurements as well, as he's been making his own. I think theirs are both 1981 models, if that's a close match for yours.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Thank heavens it happened at the end of the season..

Glad everyone is okay. I've been around boats my whole life, and the first time I launched my grandfather's fishing boat, I almost sank it in front of 100 people -- by leaving the drain plug out. I'm sure everyone who witnessed it has been re-telling that comical story for 20 years. Stuff happens.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I once launched a RIB without remembering to actually release the transom tie downs from the trailer! Shooo, did I just say that out loud!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Chilean, glad all ok, don't let it get you down, plenty have done worse! Maybe some of our stupids will give you solace!

here's my token...Little Creek VA, 70's, USMC....launched an LVTP7 (landing vehicle tracked personnel carrier) fully loaded w/troops, off the ramp of an LST (landing ship tracked), all good except we left all 4 hull plugs out. Not a good day!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
hahaha thanks to all for giving me solace, I spoke with my sail instructor and told him about this mistake, don't worry he told me, last friday he was preparing to take the boat out of the lake took the his 5HP evinrude and sudenly he slipped and fell in the lake, loosing his engine and cellphone in the lake, so I feel better, I'm not alone in this world!!