Anode installation - best practices

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Thanks Maine! From available hunter documentation the h36 has a passivated SS shaft made of either Aqualloy or Aquamet. I think a $125 corrosion reference electrode is in my near future. The users manual is maintained by an ABYC person certified in corrosion.

Charles, my apologies for the confusing typos. My perceived problem is the two shaft zincs on my 1" SS shaft appear to be wasting away at a high rate that requires replacement on a 2.5 month interval. Our h30 would go about 8 months between shaft zinc changes. 2.5 months seems too short, but as Maine states, I don't have a B/A comparison on the h36 to see if the wasting rate changed suddenly or is normal. Until I discovered this problem, the refrigerator and battery charger remained on 24/7. I'm now turning them off when not at the boat until I figure this out. Bilge is dry now but obvious evidence of water in the past. Bilge pump switch and wires checked out ok - no shorts, opens or corrosion evident.

Calder's book explains the grounding system (bonded stuff) should be connected to the grounded system (DC ground) in order to prevent a potential difference between the two. Others say to separate them to prevent lightning current from passing thru the engine marine gear to the prop and sea. Calder does explain how to get around that. But the fact I have a potential difference of 70mV between the grounding system and the grounded system indicates the two are not tied together well, or not at all? And it may mean nothing with respect to rapid zinc wasting if those two systems are indeed electrically separate circuits. I can't make a reliable resistance measurement between the grounding system and grounded system because the existing 70 mV potential will fool the ohm meter since it places a small and unknown (to me) voltage/current on the component to be measured. But on the 200 ohm range the meter indicates about 40 ohms. :)

I'll be doing more cleaning of connections and troubleshooting over the next week while winterizing the boat and will report back. She's in the ocean year-round.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've got about 30 samples hanging in the water (galvanic couples) (Chesapeake and Florida); in a year, we'll see.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I've got about 30 samples hanging in the water (galvanic couples) (Chesapeake and Florida); in a year, we'll see.
I see Martyr zincs in real world use every single day. I don't need to test 'em. And even if they worked just as well as other brands, there are ethical reasons to not use them.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
. . . . My perceived problem is the two shaft zincs on my 1" SS shaft appear to be wasting away at a high rate that requires replacement on a 2.5 month interval. . . I have a potential difference of 70mV between the grounding system and the grounded system indicates the two are not tied together well . . . I can't make a reliable resistance measurement between the grounding system and grounded system because the existing 70 mV potential will fool the ohm meter since it places a small and unknown (to me) voltage/current on the component to be measured. But on the 200 ohm range the meter indicates about 40 ohms. . . .
Measure the boat voltage - in this case at the shaft against a submerged test reference anode/probe. (You can use a pencil zinc soldered to a length of wire. The voltage value differences convert to the familiar silver reference values by adding -1.000 v ) A silver/silver chloride half cell is the standard kit but a zinc works just fine and the price is more agreeable too.

Begin tests with breakers off, batteries disconnected, shore power cable disconnected. Then connect one battery at a time, switch appliance breakers one at a time, then the bilge pumps (physically connect and disconnect if wired for 24 hour supply) go through the same regime with shore power connected . Record the voltage as each item is connected/disconnected or switch on/off. A change in reference voltage value will provide a lead to the culprit - if stray current exists.

I imagine you follow the idea afoot here - if not an ABYC corrosion trained person can help you gather these values and interpret the results.

Charles

Last edited:

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Thanks Charles - cool idea. I would be measuring the mV potential between the submerged pencil zinc and the propeller shaft inside the boat. So the gauge of wire for the ~ 12 ft run from the shaft to water should not matter I assume. I will be trying this on Saturday! Folks - I realize this is on the edge of hijacking the thread - but it all seems to be related material...thanks for not flaming me (yet) :)

Last edited:

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
any benefit to fitting 2 shaft anodes, rather than one? Also, what is best location for a shaft anode-- distance from strut, close to strut or 1 foot away (forward up the shaft). My shaft is bronze.

Feb 26, 2011
any benefit to fitting 2 shaft anodes, rather than one?
Yes. You will change anodes half as often with two, as opposed to one. Also, if one should come off the shaft for some reason, you will still be protected.

what is best location for a shaft anode-- distance from strut, close to strut or 1 foot away (forward up the shaft). My shaft is bronze.
It doesn't matter where on the shaft the anode is located, as long as it doesn't impede waterflow to the cutless or rub on the hull etc.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Yes. You will change anodes half as often with two, as opposed to one. Also, if one should come off the shaft for some reason, you will still be protected.

It doesn't matter where on the shaft the anode is located, as long as it doesn't impede waterflow to the cutless or rub on the hull etc.
I like to see it two finger lengths from the strut. This limits unbalancing the shaft, especially long shafts. It minimizes shaft whip when the anode wears unevenly..

Feb 26, 2011
I like to see it two finger lengths from the strut. This limits unbalancing the shaft, especially long shafts. It minimizes shaft whip when the anode wears unevenly..
I have installed many thousands of anodes on both power and sailboats and honestly, have never encountered a balance problem regardless of where the anodes are placed on the shaft.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have installed many thousands of anodes on both power and sailboats and honestly, have never encountered a balance problem regardless of where the anodes are placed on the shaft.

Sadly a lot of owners are oblivious to vibration issues... For owners not oblivious to vibration issues I have fixed a number of vibration/shaft whip issues by simply properly placing the anodes closer to the bearing. In larger diameter shafts they are less affected but with 1 1 1/8", 1" & 7/8" it can certainly exacerbate whip when the anode erodes unevenly.

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
So, the question remains, one shaft zinc or two? I have about 4 feet of exposed shaft length between strut and hull, 1 1/2 inch diameter shaft.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Wonderful presentation! Thank you for all your efforts in disseminating valuable information. I always enjoy reading your tutorials.
Happy holidays. Ilan

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
fstbttms-
yes you gave your opinion, and I thank you--but I was looking for a concensus of opinion on this.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Start with one. When your bottom cleaner tells you need to replace your zinc soon, have him put the second one on but leave the first one in place. And so on...

Feb 26, 2011
fstbttms-
yes you gave your opinion, and I thank you--but I was looking for a concensus of opinion on this.
You asked if there was any benefit in having two shaft anodes and I responded with the physics of the thing- two anodes will protect twice as long as one. This is not an opinion.

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Agreed , twice the amount of zinc will last twice as long-- that much is obvious. Question is, will balance of the shaft be affected with two zincs on. Will there be any wobble or vibration from this. And what should the spacing be between the two.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Question is, will balance of the shaft be affected with two zincs on. Will there be any wobble or vibration from this. ...QUOTE]

I suggest mounting them at 90 degrees to each other for better balance.