Anchoring at sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2009
Hunter 33 Seabrooke, Houston
Not that I am likely to cross the ocean and be confronted with the question: how does one stop a boat in mid ocean so it does not move?
You don't throw anchor out, not on mile deep sea, so how does one stop for the night?
Just curious, always wanted to ask this question...at least I will know what to do if I do want to cross the Atlantic to Portugal

Kordie

Aug 7, 2011
Beneteau 393 Cruising Baja
Stop for a swim maybe?

Heaving to is maybe your best bet.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Just wondering why you would want to stop?? At least 1/3 of your trip will be made during 'sleep hours'. If more than one person on board you sail during the night watch, if solo you use your auto pilot and wake on regular internals to lookout.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Lay ahull or heave to. There are reasons you may want to stop the boat in an ocean crossing. To reel in a fish may be one.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
Second possible reason: Take in the scenery??

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
short answer is you can't compleatly stop as indicated by say a gps unless your willing to use your motor to hold position against the current and wind.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Sea anchor will get you to under a knot and keep the bow into the wind.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Just keep going, stopping for the night is counter productive to getting the passage done. By sleeping/stopping every night the trip will take at least a third longer. this will expose you to more weather, require more provisions, delay your arrival at that nice place or home and generally not be helpful.
On a short overnight trip it might not be of much concern but on a 60 passage that makes it 75ish days. Just packing enough fresh water, or investing in a water maker because it takes so long to do it that way is not the best way to spend your time or money.
With crew this is just a matter of setting up a daily watch scheduel. If you're solo then you really have your work cut out for you. Certianly be well awake/alert when crossing shipping lanes, other times are not so critical and you can get by with 40 minutes off and 20 minutes on most of the day and stay awake at night. I would opt for staying awake at night due to the better visability during the day and other captains being able to see you even if you are asleep. Good bright nav lights are a must.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
To come to a full stop all you need is a reference point. In the realm of the vastness of an Ocean moving at a fraction of a knot can be considered coming to a full stop. After all we don't consider the rotation of the Earth when claiming we have stopped..

Jun 25, 2009
To come to a full stop all you need is a reference point. In the realm of the vastness of an Ocean moving at a fraction of a knot can be considered coming to a full stop. After all we don't consider the rotation of the Earth when claiming we have stopped..
This has been a most enjoyable posting, thank you for all of your comments!
I can see now why it would be counter productive and a waste of time to stop: if more than one person, it's a matter of shift watch, if solo then there is a problem, because even if you use automatic pilot, you could hit a ship if crossing a shipping lane; so I guess one cannot really sleep except at day time
I see the point of wasting time, so water and provisions could present a problem.
I must look up again to see what lay ahull or heave to means: remember reading about it before
Incidently, and of course with a few modifications, a Hunter 33 boat could in theory cross the Atlantic, right? I have read of much smaller boats doing it.
Again, very curious!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Not that I am likely to cross the ocean and be confronted with the question: how does one stop a boat in mid ocean so it does not move?
You don't throw anchor out, not on mile deep sea, so how does one stop for the night?
Just curious, always wanted to ask this question...at least I will know what to do if I do want to cross the Atlantic to Portugal
Buy and read Richard Henderson's Singlehanded Sailing

Preferably before you leave. :)

Sep 10, 2009
Hunter cutter 37 1981 St-lambert
In no way I want to be mean, but you will need to put a lot more tought into it before atempting anything. You will need a deep understanding of what sailing really is before you leave. I'd say leave ocean crossing alone for a while and go cruising for a year or two before deciding to go all out (but you'll need a LOT of preparationg just to do that. It took us 5 years to get to that point). A year aboard your boat will get you the answer to a lot of questions you have and will possibly save your life. Cruising is BIG step from going out on weekends. Ocean crossing is a BIG step from cruising. Learn to walk before you run.

Next time I leave for an extended period, I will start by a good year of cruising with a few overnights. This will allow fine tuning the boat, crew and equipment. So let's say, first winter Bahamas, Turks, DR, Carribeans all the way to South America. So never more than 2-3 days out at sea at the time. After that, summer in Maine. Then a crossing to Bermuda, then to the Virgins. Spend the rest of winter in Central America. If the experience is conclusive, if the crew is ready, if the boat has all the required equipment, then maybe across Panama and on... If one of these requirements is not met, then more cruising.

In theory, the probably boat could, in practice, maybe thats not such good idea. Is the boat in flawless condition ? Is it really strong enough ? Do you still have the original plastic ports ? Plastic thru hull ? etc. (meaning hundreds of other items that needs to be addressed before going out at sea)... Just to give you an idea, our boat is in very good condition. The last time I've put numbers beside the to do list to get the boat ready for extended passages, it came up to over $45k.

This post is not intended to discourage you, but to strongly suggest you plan on cruising before you decide to cross oceans. That way, you will know faster that the lifestyle is for you (it is not for everyone), with reduced risks and less investment in equipment you probably don't need (first time you leave with a lot of useless junk made for weekenders that have no place at sea, plus if you don't like it, you don't have to sell as much stuff).

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Jorge: Just consider going out from the coast for about 3 days and then back and see if you really think you want to anchor out there (or stop). If you going to weather for about 3 -4 days (with 10-15 days to go) you will be very happy to be on terra firma.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
It's good that Jorge is able to receive all this experience here. Am I right Jorge, mostly your questions are rhetorical? I know you are a frustrated Portugese sailor trying to live up to the legacy of your forefathers. But your boat is not even finished and you have barely sailed her. Surely you are not serious about going offshore for an extended period.

Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
Jorge we all dream. I know I do of adventures. From what I have read and those I have met of the passage makers in the end it is not the boat but what you are willing to commit to the dream. Hunter 30's once were deemed able to make a crossing to Europe. It was the preparation the willingness to fail and skill that determined if you make the trip.

Right now I am working toward readying the boat to circumnavigate Delmarva. I know the hull will carry me safely around the ocean front. The question is my readiness.

Next year if I am happy with this trip I plan to make the run to NYC. It is the harbor of my childhood I yearn to revisit but mentally not ready. More to follow.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
You lower your mainsail, then you come off the wind, until the boat spins right round, and the jib becomes hard up against the mast and is taking the wind in the side it shouldnt be taking the wind on. then you are hove too, When you do that, you can get a good nights sleep.

Jun 25, 2009
You lower your mainsail, then you come off the wind, until the boat spins right round, and the jib becomes hard up against the mast and is taking the wind in the side it shouldnt be taking the wind on. then you are hove too, When you do that, you can get a good nights sleep.
Let me put to rest all of your good folk's worries: of course I do not intend to cross the ocean in the immediate future!
But dream of doing it one day is in order!
I dreamed of getting a boat I could sail on: I found one, structuralyy very sound, with lots of damage that could be repaired: I found a salvage yard with an exact model and year of mine, and struck a deal with the owner of the yard: at first I paid money, but later all was free (in exchange for other goods)
And so I got nice hand rails, stanchions, life lines, (all starboard side, where the boat had come out of the water after Ike and rested 300 feet awy against the side, hence deep scratches along the top); I got a new rudder, bow rail, stern rail, winches, and re-did the bulkheads inside with aromatic cedar (removed the smelly carpet),remoived all the teak that was bad nad re-varnished all: at the bottom, where water had laid for a while, I re-did the cabinets. I still have to re-cover all seats.
And then, I looked back and thought: good job, Jorge! for someone who didn't know a thing about all the above, I did a remarkable transformation
No, my boat is not going anywhere for the next few years, but I have sailed her, had to be rescued (best $130 I ever spent on BoatUS) and intend goiing out for a day or even more. Next step, when I have some money, do a boittom job, and replace through hulls ( look forward to a question related to this!). I know I am going on forever, but I lived in S.A for 23 years, and since 1983 to 1995 bought and restored/imported at least 6 Cadillacs (1959) one 1960 Eldorado Seville, and a 1966 convertible
I was featured in magazines and all, because I persevered and joined Cadillac Club and got help from americans who owned and sold parts (before internet). One day I will put some pics. So you can do anything you set your heart to do, and therin lies MY problem: all heart, no head!
Sorry to have bothered you all and bored you stiff, but my passion has no limits: I intend following all of your advices, like a couple of days out, etc, etc. but amuse me, keep helping and encourage me to continue: as my children poften said, "if we ever got stuck in an island, no one they would rather be but with daddy" (that's me
Love you all, and enjoy sailing, in good health!
Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.