Anchor Windlass on a Newport 30 MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
Crown 34 Sidney BC
My brother recently purchased a 1980 (I think) Newport 30 MKII. He want to install a windlass but is a bit unsure how it might be situated. There is a well with a cover that holds the 22lb Danforth and chain/rope rode.

I don't think the locker is big enough for a windlass so I am a bit stymied for options
for him.

Any suggestions for windlass styles/makes and mounting location?

Many thanks,
David
s/v CinDino

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Windlasses, as you probably know, can be mounted on the deck or in an anchor well. You said you thought already that the well was too small to accommodate a windlass, so I guess that is out. Probably the 30' boat might not have a suitable place to mount one. The anchor on a 30' boat would probably not have so big an anchor or so much chain that would be difficult to pull it up by hand. If you managed to figure out how to mount one, you also need to have the room to mount an anchor roller as well.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
The problem with mounting a windlass in the locker is where to put the rode. My own locker is pretty small but I still put the windlass there. That is because I was able to run the chain down to the keel through a hawse pipe. For a smallish locker the norm is a vertical windlass mounted right behind the locker. Then the rode goes over the locker, around the windlass, and forward into the locker. Maybe if you search some of the "Owner Modifications" forums you can find an install of that type, not for a Newport but for some other 30-footer.

Attachments

Jun 1, 2004
Crown 34 Sidney BC
This makes sense

The problem with mounting a windlass in the locker is where to put the rode. My own locker is pretty small but I still put the windlass there. That is because I was able to run the chain down to the keel through a hawse pipe. For a smallish locker the norm is a vertical windlass mounted right behind the locker. Then the rode goes over the locker, around the windlass, and forward into the locker. Maybe if you search some of the "Owner Modifications" forums you can find an install of that type, not for a Newport but for some other 30-footer.
Good suggestion, I'll talk with my brother and see if this is an option.

FWIW, though 50 ft of chain and a 25lb anchor is not terribly difficult (I say this @ the age of 44) the windlass is more to deal with retrieving 200+ft of rode required here in the Pac NW where we can anchor in depths of 50ft or more plus deal with a 10ft tidal range in the summer.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Jun 1, 2004
Crown 34 Sidney BC
Excellent ideas all! I started wondering where the rode is stored on my brothers boat. IIRC, just the anchor is in the deck well; I think the rode drops down below. If this is true he can put a vertical windlass in the well, and put the anchor on a bow roller (where it should be anyway IMHO).

great food for thought guys, thanks!

David
s/v CinDino

Status
Not open for further replies.