AMF Sunfish

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
...until the breeze gets up around 25-30 knots. Then they try to pitch-pole. That's a REAL interesting experience. Alternating reaches can keep you out of that little trap.
OH yes- my ex, at 110 pounds was sailing her sunfish in a race when we got hit by a 45 mph thunder storm.. I was on a Dolphin Sr, saw it coming and managed to get the sail down and lashed- watched her take off like jet propelled, bounce across about 4 waves and stuff the bow- PITCHPOLE!! Unhurt, as was the boat, but she sensibly just stayed in the water, capsized til wind abated. Shoulda heard her yelling!!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sailfish is even wetter without a cockpit. Real easy to slid off the deck....
Someone gave me one. It was wood and weighed a ton. Not a car top! I used it once and I couldn't stay on it. I would slide off tacking. Not to mention the near de-capitation that could occur with the boom. I donated it to a local kids sailing program. The instructors were grateful. I'm glad I haven't been charged with endangerment of minors.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
hey’re particularly fun with no wind and a hotchick sailing with you.
My only real memory of sailing a sunfish, though I've sailed two, was of the one at the condo where I was visiting my best friend when I was 16. These two girls asked me if I would take them sailing, My friend, Matt wasn't around so it was just the three of us. The wind died about 300 yards off the beach and the Gulf was glass calm. The two girls decided they wanted to go back in and started giving me a "boat load" for not being able to make the sunfish go. I decided to show them how to get to shore by jumping in the water and started swimming for it. They screamed and implored and promised not to yell at me any more. Not wanting to loose a perfectly good sunfish, I relented and managed to catch enough wind to finally end the ordeal. So, maybe Kermit is right about one "hotchick" but not with two 16 year old "hotchicks" or maybe Kermit just has a more practical definition of "hotchick":doh:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Learned to sail on a Moth.

Raced a Sunfish every month for two years with about 30 guys in the Key West Naval Sailing Assn. Sailed one while on vacation in the Thousand Islands every other year since.

No need to reef, since most people have enough weight to hike and keep her flat on a plane in any reasonable wind. Abs are important in higher winds. Sailed ours in 45 knot winds once in Key West. It was planing with about the last four feet of the hull in the water. I let a wavefront hit me. A mistake,since the mast sheared off where it came out of the hull! I pulled the stub of the mast out of the hole, rerigged the shorter mast, and sailed to shore. An unforgettable thrill!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The Admiral and I would snorkel off the Sunfish in the seaplane basin north of the key. Gorgeous! The best fun was starlight sails pulling a phosphorescent wake. One night we went Trick or Treating with a lighted pumpkin on the bow. Those were the days.

When the Admiral was pregnant with our second, getting back in the boat after snorkeling was problematic. I would tip the hull until she could put her belly in the cockpit, and then hold on while I let the boat come back to level! Great memories!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Never had a pitch pole in those kinds of winds. The trick is keep the daggerboard out of the water and shift your weight far aft. She will take off like a rocket ship. Just can't do it in two to three foot seas. She will try to launch herself, then all hell breaks loose

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
If you are in the market, find out what the weight of the hull should be, as manufactured and with hardware, for two reasons.
1) As someone already mentioned, they can become waterlogged (water filled?) My dad sold his last year, and it was enormously heavy. He had verified that it was not a water problem by drilling, then filling, some holes - no water. Which leads me to:
2) They can actually suffer from sand infiltration, and sand is MUCH harder to remove from the interior of the hull. My dad sailed his last Sunfish regatta two years ago at age 80, and when it was over, two young men loaded the boat onto the trailer. They commented that it was the heaviest Sunfish hull, by FAR, that they had ever experienced. I finally figured it out last year after finding a post on the topic on SA.
I own one, and am restoring two of them now, actually! I just thought I'd ask about what everyone else thinks about them!

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
[QUOTE=" Not to mention the near de-capitation that could occur with the boom. I donated it to a local kids sailing program. The I'm glad I haven't been charged with endangerment of minors.[/QUOTE]

We own a 1964 Mirror and sadly can attest to the fact that a wood boom hitting your head sounds just like a Louisville Slugger hitting a tree!!!
Good thing I am hard headed...

Sam

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sunfish which use to be built in the U.S. and later elsewhere is now built in China and for some time boats and parts were hard to come by. It has changed hands a few times.

Another source comparable to the Sunfish is American Sail with it's Aqua Fin and now one much improved with a new one to include a roller furling main. Originally it was designed by a Scouter for the Boy Scouts. When parts for Sunfish were hard to obtain, you could get parts that in a sense were interchangeable quickly from American Sail. The Boy Scouts of America have been pleased with this company along with other organizations. In fact looking at pricing, they are very competitive and best of all built in the U.S. with parts readibly available. You may want to consider looking at this company.
I use to represent them as a dealer and was quite pleased. I am now retired.
Crazy Dave

You may want to look at American Sail located in North Charleston, S.C. and ask for either Dave or Chris.

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
I sailed sunfish while in college. Easy and fun to sail. When the wind died, I would lay on the deck with my head near the bow and use the daggerboard to paddle back to shore. I could easily carry a sunfish by myself. Not sure if I would have risked trying to put a sunfish on top of a car by myself. It is a wet boat, fun way to cool off in the heat of the summer.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I've owned a Sunnyfish, and own an AquaFinn now. I can tell little difference in either boat, although the Finn is a little longer. I really should sell it, I don't use it anymore..