Alternator wiring question

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
I recently purchased an '89 Catalina 30 and decided to do a engine wiring upgrade to replace the trailer plugs and clean up the wiring. Part of the upgrade is removing the orange 10g. wire from the harness and reconnecting it from the alternator to the starter solenoid-this is said to significantly improve the charging cycle. The boat has a voltmeter. When I checked the alternator, I found that I had three wires coming from it: a red 14G. wire that led back to the engine panel (think it may be going to the tach), a second wire-the 10G. wire that I thought was supposed to be rerouted to the starter solenoid, and a third wire - a 14G. orange wire that already goes to the starter solenoid. I can't find the third wire on any of the schematics on the web. Does anyone know what the function of this wire is? Should it be removed if the second wire is connected to the solenoid? In the mean time I have replaced the connectors, but left everything as it was. Would appreciate some insight. Thanks

Attachments

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Could be the field coil wire for an external regulator??

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
Don't think so. I think you folks are right that the red wire may go to the ignition. The questions is since the 14G. orange wire running from the alternator already goes to the starter, it doesn't seem right for the 10G. to go there too. Should I disconnect the 14G. wire and hook up the 10G. wire which now goes to the harness?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
One wire goes to control panel at ammeter and then to starter (this is the problem wire).
The other goes to the tach.
The other is the exciter which connects to the key switch and is live when the key is 'on'