Alternator replacement

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
My 2004 310 with Universal XPB 25 has a Fleece Neville 8MR 105 amp (higher output than the original stock) that's externally smart regulated with a Xantrex.
Already read Maine sail's article: https://marinehowto.com/external-alternator-regulation-conversion/
Couple questions:
1. Can someone tell me the alternator configuration : I think it's a 1" single foot, with universal adjusting ear?
2. I might pick up a Balmar alternator too to replace the one I have now (because I know a guy that knows a guy...) - any idea which model?

Thanks!
Bernie

Attachments

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I think it’s a two inch spool ( my M25 is 2”). I had to get a 8MR with 3 “ears” to make the adjusting arm work.

Les

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Couple questions:
1. Can someone tell me the alternator configuration : I think it's a 1" single foot, with universal adjusting ear?
The 105A Leece-Neville should have a universal ear (three holes) and a 1" spool mount that is easily to 2" with the right adapter kit.

2. I might pick up a Balmar alternator too to replace the one I have now (because I know a guy that knows a guy...) - any idea which model?

A Balmar 6 series would work but with a 3/8" belt the 8MR 105A frame is a nice fit for that engine so long as you use Belt Load Manager.. Balmar's 6-Series alts ship as a 1" foot with a 2" spacer. A CMI-105ER or CMI-90-ERM would be another good spare at very reasonable prices..

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
As I have never taken off an alternator, does anyone have any tips? See above photos
1. What sequence of steps?
2. What tool would allow access to that bolt? Seems impossible to reach that foot bolt

Thanks again.

May 20, 2016
First is to disconnect all Battery positives at the battery.
Then with VOM make sure you have no voltage to ground at eac of the terminals on the back of the alternator.
Mark each wire on the back so they can go back in the right place
Remove wires
Remove tension bolt
Remove pivot bolt

Note just turning the battery switch to off usually isn’t sufficient to kill power to the alternator. The alternator output is often wired directly to the house batteries. (MaineSail advocates for a Alternator disconnect at the engine location for this reason). The method above is overkill but if you don’t know what your doing it is the safest.

Les

May 20, 2016
The pivot bolt is easier to access when you can swing the alternator out away from the engine. I’m not sure I would want an electrical connection on that bolt.