Already to go cruise... then FOG... Then

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It started out simple and got very complicated... I am attaching my story of a fateful event as I was cruising to San Juan Island's Roche Harbor for a rendezvous and fun filled weekend.

As with these types of experiences you think you are doing everything right and then....

After I posted I thought I should add some pictures.
Boat Out of fog.jpg

Here is what I saw coming out of the fog... Only this was after the event. Note the missing round light on the starboard bow.... There were four headlights in the fog.

Killer Fishing Boat.JPG
He looked like this coming back to give me his info. Mahalo is in the background marshaling him back.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have to add that I was sure I was going to be fishing bodies out of the sound. I think it took Trish and I an hour or more before my heart rate settled into something like normal.

Les

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I felt the same way when John & Les told me the story when they arrived. Whew!!!!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Wow!!

So glad everyone came out alive. Looking at the fishing boat it's a little surprising that it didn't show up on radar. Even so, and as noted, there should have been someone at the helm and certainly operating within a safe speed. You certainly seemed to be operating safely and frankly would have been in even worse shape if you had been going much slower.

Hopefully the repairs a easy and you don't have too many hassles withe the authorities and insurance.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I guess no one on the fishing boat was standing a proper watch including looking at the radar. With two boats out there surely he should have seen some sort of target. Unforgivable

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My guess is he was running full out probably in excess of 25kts. I was looking at the radar but by the time he resolved out of the clutter he was there. I also spend a ton more time looking out rather than looking at the radar

Les