Alcohol stove fuel...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My sister-in-law would preface this with a dweeb alert.
It's not so much as the extra carbon as the ratio of oxygen in each molecule. Methanol has a higher oxygen ratio which while accounting for a bigger proportion of it's weight does not add any BTUs.
More carbons, more carbon bonds, and the greater the proportion of MW due to carbon, etc., in alcohols, which are fixed with one "O-H."

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
More carbons, more carbon bonds, and the greater the proportion of MW due to carbon, etc., in alcohols, which are fixed with one "O-H."
Kings Gambit you get to ride the fire truck with me, back seat of course. You will be on the knob (nozzle) and have to pull lines to the building but that's all good. The rest of you guys ride with the paramedic for a while longer, sorry only so much room.

All U Get

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Denatured alcohol is not denatured with gasoline. It's most often denatured with ethanol. Looking at the MSDS for whatever product will show what the denaturing agent is.

Every last gallon I've ever bought was denatured with ethanol.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Denatured alcohol is not denatured with gasoline. It's most often denatured with ethanol. Looking at the MSDS for whatever product will show what the denaturing agent is.

What? Come on Man! Denatured Alcohol is Ethanol. It's denatured (natural fermentation terminated) by poisoning it so it can't be consumed (imbibed) by humans. Additives, such as acetates, ketones, toxic ingestable alcohols such as methanol or isopropanol, etc. are added such that the Ethanol cannot be drank. Denatured Ethanol than becomes a solvent cleaner or a fuel, and is taxed differently (less). You can't denature Ethanol with Ethanol, but you sure as hell can make a good mixer. I will agree that I've never heard of gasoline as a denaturant, but that would work in small quantities.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC

Holy cannoli! I was pronouncing denatured wrong. All this time I was using it to clean my uppers!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This thread reminds me of a long night in Carriacou with the "Strong Rum".
Well, strong rum (151 proof) would probably work in the stove. But it would be expensive and a waste of good rum.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
OK mates. Now that we've travelled this long and winding road we've decided that I'm gonna feed my old Shipmate stove with the kleenstrip "green" denatured alcohol - only because it has less additives than everything else I've seen so far. The standard hardware store stuff seems to give off an acrid odor especially during the preheat stage and the "stove fuel" is overpriced considering what it is.
WM used to sell their own brand & was quite pricey. Now they offer Sealand brand which is roughly 50/50.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
What? Come on Man! Denatured Alcohol is Ethanol. It's denatured (natural fermentation terminated) by poisoning it so it can't be consumed (imbibed) by humans. Additives, such as acetates, ketones, toxic ingestable alcohols such as methanol or isopropanol, etc. are added such that the Ethanol cannot be drank. Denatured Ethanol than becomes a solvent cleaner or a fuel, and is taxed differently (less). You can't denature Ethanol with Ethanol, but you sure as hell can make a good mixer. I will agree that I've never heard of gasoline as a denaturant, but that would work in small quantities.
Methanol... Most denatured alc is denatured with Methanol....

I shoulda had one less glass of wine..... Made the same mistake twice in one paragraph... Maybe I was thinking about another glass of wine or somethin...

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
We had an origo on our last boat and used methyl hydrate with it for years with zero issues. Cheap and effective. Try it once and you'll see for yourself.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Well, strong rum (151 proof) would probably work in the stove. But it would be expensive and a waste of good rum.
Westerhall Really Strong Rum is 180 proof is used as a fire starter and costs $2 USD a 5th. Life is different in the Windwards.

Jan 11, 2014
Westerhall Really Strong Rum is 180 proof is used as a fire starter and costs $2 USD a 5th. Life is different in the Windwards.
Westerhall Plantation Rum is a wonderful rum that is a bit of a challenge to find. And it is reasonably priced.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Westerhall re-badged Plantation to #5, top shelf rum at a great price if you buy it down island. The VSR however comes in a cask and is just rocket fuel.

Aug 24, 2012
Sailstar/Bristol/Herrshof Courier 26 Kemah , TX
I all reality, all of us normal humans fear what we are not accustomed to, eh?
Now whilst the ol' saw; "familiarity breeds contempt" is also often a reality,
"Capta" (( whom is , btw, a real commercial Captain, over 30 yrs experience; not a Sunday yacht cap type)) is simply & correctly pointing out that many "group think fears" are quite greatly over exaggerated.
IF one is using a reasonable/sensible dose of care and actually demonstrating"seamanship" rather than "lawyer bait" mentality, eh?
So look, I do realize Americans are directed by lawyers to think in terms of ( $$$) horrific consequences of total abandonment of thought /reason/ attention by knuckleheads in our midst, ; however , if one reads /is instructed/ or learns proper responsible (( seaman like ))) use of ones equipment, one need neither fear nor contempt such, eh?
That simple ? Sure it is !

Aug 24, 2012
Sailstar/Bristol/Herrshof Courier 26 Kemah , TX
I have the same Origo, 3000, and yep, you can use Ron/Rum or even cheap vodka , works just dandy.

Jan 11, 2014
learns proper responsible (( seaman like ))) use of ones equipment, one need neither fear nor contempt such, eh?
That simple ? Sure it is !
For me it is really about risk reduction and keeping the balance of sailing vs maintaining tipped into the sailing side of the equation.

There are no doubt many thousands of hours of safe pressurized alcohol stove use and a few disastrous ones. The pressurized stoves bear more risk and more maintenance than the Origo style. So the Origo style wins as it tips the scale towards safety and less maintenance.

Now, time to go finish upgrading the propane system with new hoses, gas detectors, and solenoid so I don't blow up the boat.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Methinks a bigger issue than the pressurized stoves being 'more' dangerous but they're a pain in the butt.

The origo is pretty dang simple. Turn the knob, stick a lighter in there, and flame happens. Turn the knob the other way and flame stops. No pumping, putting some fuel in a little cup, etc.. Just light the dang thing. If it doesn't light, pour some alcohol into the 'land mine', wait, then light it.

Likely there's not enough data from boats to understand exactly how much "more dangerous" some sort of cooking apparatus actually is, but according to Boat US most boat fires are electrical, not stove related. In the camping market, it certainly appears that far more campstoves are powered with 1lb propane bottles than white gas/kero/or alch. (Although backpackers seem to really like beer can alc stoves). I doubt that's safety but ease of use. (Opinion arrived at by the absolutely non-scientific sampling method of noticing what type of stoves sporting goods stores seem to stock.)