Air conditioner location 2

Jul 21, 2018
catalina 310 Annapolis MD
I bought a Webasto self contained unit and can't find an easy place to put it in. I read the Mainsheet article and the port locker seems like a less than ideal location only because i have to open/cut a hole for the return grille. I'm thinking about under the v-berth but running the ducts seems nearly impossible from there towards aft of the boat. Also, where do you place the return grille? I need a 14x10 and can't find a place for that big of a hole. Another option is on top of the waste tank... any suggestions? Where would the return be if I install it aft? What about starboard side? If anyone can share pics of their setup I'm sure I can work on it.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Pictures might help.
You need a return air grille -- what is the problem? You can put it in the door (or better yet, have a new louvered door made). You need a filter along the way...

Jul 21, 2018
Where would the return air grille be installed at if:
1. ac unit is under the v berth forward of the water tank
2. port lazarette
3. aft locker, on top of the holding tank or on shelf near the water heater

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I don't know your boat. It would increase the number of responses and the ability of people to assist you you can provide some info including pictures about your boat. Otherwise, you'll just need people familiar with your Catalina 310.

Pinueve, how familiar are you with AC installations?

If you need professional help, the hands down best guy in Annapolis is Nate Horton and Horton Marine Services. (Aside from being a bright, decent, experience young guy, he's Cleve Horton's son -- the founder and owner of Sea Frost.)

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You need a return duct and grille. All factory and dealer installed units have a cutout to install a nice louvered grille and filter cover. making the cut is not difficult just use masking tape to cover the line to be cut so that the surface don't splinter and use a drill at one end to make the starting hole where the saw blade can be inserted for the reciprocating saw.

Jul 21, 2018
Did you cut the bottom of the locker for the return 14”x10” grille? My concern is allowing any water or debris that makes its way into that locker, into the aft bed/area.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I wonder a bunch about the small size of the duct work; and the need to insulate the ducts to avoid condensation. I'd call the manufacturer before I sized them.

Apr 14, 2014
catalina 310 Rock Hall, MD
Yes....close to the corner in the aft bed/area under the forward part of the cockpit locker. So far, no problems with water/debris intrusion or with condensation with the 2" duct. Drilling holes with a 2" hole saw is a lot easier than anything larger.

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
So, the thread is called air conditioner location 2, but if I am reading right it is your only unit? My A/C is under the forward berth forward of the water tank. Good access panel there and lots of room. As far as return air grill size, you can have two smaller ones instead of one large one. I have one on each side of the forward berth. I can take pics next time I’m out if you need them.

Jul 21, 2018
SV At last, you are right. I called the thread "...location 2" but it was only because the other thread didn't address some of the questions I had. At the moment I'm considering installing the unit in the port locker. The mainsheet article and "u0958901" seem to have done ok with the setup. Now, if you have pics of your unit, the base for it under the vberth, the two return grilles, the vents/registers and the ductwork; I could consider placing it there. Where are your thru hull for the raw water intake, ac water outlet and condensation lines? Pics would be great! Thanks!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I have a return over the aft berth next to A/C unit in port locker. Make sure you install the A/C condensate pan with a slope towards the drain (mine is essentially level). On my boat I have to sponge out the water or it ends up spilling over the drip pan into the berth through the return vent if I sail with moderate heel/seas after run A/C it at a marina. Other than that, never had a problem with water/trash in aft berth from return

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Don’t drain the condensate into the bilge. Pump it directly out through a shower or dedicated sump. Otherwise you’ll be smelling the “gooh of life” from your bilge.

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
Ok, sorry for the delay. I don't have a schedule like normal humans. Got out to the boat today and of course had to sail. Here are the port and starboard return air grills. Getting a bit shabby need to be repainted. They are on the aft angles of the forward berth. The through hull for the raw water intake is located under the access panel aft of the berth and forward of the compression post. The raw water pump is under the drawers of the forward berth.

Attachments

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
The actual A/C unit is located under the forward berth forward of the freshwater tank. My unit has three 4 inch ducts. One in the forward berth area and two in the salon. The thermostat is located in the forward berth in the hanging locker.

Attachments

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
The raw water out is located next the the anchor locker drain. The condensate drain is connected to a Dometic condensate remover (check valve) that exits with the raw water at the bow. The picture didn't turn out very good. Sorry. Plumbing from the raw water pump to the A/C is under the forward berth drawers and fresh water tank. This was all previous owners work. Hope it helps.

Attachments

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
My A/C sits on and is mounted to a glassed in plywood platform. Kind of hard to see in the picture.