Again with the portlights ...

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Hi guys,
One of my portlights broke in a knockdown and I need to replace it. I have removed the old one and am ready for a replacement. I found the right material at a local plastic shop and did some test cuts with my jigsaw, which went fine. The old portlight had the back side (that against the cabin) beveled (30˚ ?). I tried to do this with my router but it was kind of a disaster.
SO ... I can have the portlight made, with bevel by the plastic shop.
Alternatively, I can make the cutout without the bevel and install.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
carlos

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Capital Yachts Newport 28 Burbank, WA
A bench sander or a sanding blade for your table saw would easily cut the 30 degree bevel. Just take it slow and easy.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Hi guys,
One of my portlights broke in a knockdown and I need to replace it. I have removed the old one and am ready for a replacement. I found the right material at a local plastic shop and did some test cuts with my jigsaw, which went fine. The old portlight had the back side (that against the cabin) beveled (30˚ ?). I tried to do this with my router but it was kind of a disaster.
SO ... I can have the portlight made, with bevel by the plastic shop.
Alternatively, I can make the cutout without the bevel and install.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
carlos
I found the bevel difficult to replicate without a bench mounted sander with adjustable work rest. So I cut the replacement a little smaller than the original to allow it to fit tight on the 3M UHB tape. Then I filled in the whole gap with 795 adhesive.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Whoa whoa whoa! Tell us more about the knockdown.
Well, posted about this two summers ago when it actually happened. Lake Dillon, Colorado. Burst took me by surprise; new to sailing (and still learning). Tiller broken, solar panel flew into portlight and created a very large "star crack". Finally getting around to replacing it. PM me if you really want more info ... :(
cec