Aftermarket bow thruster install for 473

Apr 30, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 473 Baltimore, MD
Hello! We have a new-to-us 2008 473 that we bought knowing it didn't have a bow thruster...we tried making due without one, but docking continues to be an issue. So, we'd like advice on getting one installed when we have her dry early this spring in Baltimore. I would expect between $10 and $15k. Anyone with experience or service recommendations welcome!

Also need recommendations on electronics (Garmin) installation...

Apr 29, 2014
Beneteau 473 Charleston
$10-15K sounds about right.

We have the same boat and while a bow thruster would be nice, my Scottish heritage won't allow me to spend that much.

Instead, I've upgraded the prop to a Flexofold and learned to use the prop walk to my advantage. After 5 years, I'm pretty comfortable docking in most conditions. But, maybe I'm just rationalizing my frugality.

I guess I'm also a bit paranoid about more holes in the bottom of the boat.

Your boat, your choice. I hope it works out for you. Best of luck!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Bumpy, you could both take a local 2 day class in docking, close-quarters maneuvering, and dock line usage to get your skills up, then fly first-class to Tortola, cavort like kids, eat/drink like kings, do a 3 day sail charter, come home and still have 5 boat bucks in your pocket when you back that big dog into her slip no problemo! Every time you do not have to fiddle with the wiring, controller, or zincs on that bow blender you will be dollars ahead and worry free. Just sayin'

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
PM me if you would like the phone number of a great instructor who will come to your boat and show you how to grease it in every time. A bow thruster is nice but is not a supstitute for skill.