Aft Head Solenoid - 1990 Hunter passage centercockpit

Apr 7, 2018
Hunter Passage Mimico Cruising Club
Need help finding this. I read it is in the engine room, behind a bulkhead. Anyone have a diagram of where this is? Is it easily accessible? Also the forward head solenoid. Where is that? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The engine starting solenoid is usually proximate to the starter motor on the engine. If you trace back from the starter motor, and see where the wires are headed, you'll probably find the solenoid for the engine.

What's the 'aft head solenoid' for???? (Do you mean a switch for shower sump or macerater or???? Or ???)

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
The solenoid for the aft head is affixed to the engine room bulkhead that runs fore-and-aft and is on the starboard side of the engine room (closest to the head). As you are looking into the engine room from the main doorway (opposite the nav station), it is just next to, and behind, the forward vertical steel post that comprises the battery support structure. It's about even with the top of the compartment. If you follow the run of the 1" hose that runs up to the top of the engine compartment, and then back down, you'll see the solenoid at the top. But as you're looking into the compartment, it "hides" behind the upper battery and battery support structure, between that bulkhead and the upper battery.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Are you 100 certain your toilet is a sea water toilet? 'Cuz there are two kinds of solenoid valves--the kind that go on top of a vented loop to open and close to allow and block air from entering the line (I posted a photo of that kind)...and the kind that go in lines that connect a fresh water toilet to the boat's cold water plumbing...kind of an electric "faucet" that the flush button opens to let water flow to the toilet and closes to block the water when the flush button is released. And I didn't see a vented loop in your photograph...it looked to me like there's hose connected to both ends of the solenoid. If yours really is a sea water toilet, I have no idea what that solenoid's function is.