Advice

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
We rescued a Catlina 22 from a field over the weekend. She had sat for the last 8 years. Her sails had been stored inside so they are all good. She feels very solid. Yesterday I started the cleaning process and found this (see pics). I own a paddleboard shop so I am not new to fiberglass work. My thought on this is to grind it out. Let it dry in case of hidden moisture. Fill with an epoxy filler. Sand and then do a gel coat on the patch. Please advise if I am way off base. Not in a place where we can repainted just yet but would like to get her on the water before the snow flies. I have half of her sprayed off ;) Thanks!
image.jpeg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
LA
Looks like it has been banged up and repaired with paint. Maybe from a motor that banged against the transom. Any damage inside? What about water in the outside fiberglass? With luck you could just grind the bad spots and reseal till you can do a proper job this winter. Haw is the deck? any soft spots by the mast or the stanchions? The spreader on the left side in your picture looks like it may have been tweaked. The boot on the right spreader looks in need of replacement. I would take a careful look at the wire shrouds. If it was my boat I would be replacing them this winter at the latest. Sailing this season only in light to moderate wind. Not straining any of the rig.
22's are fun boats. Welcome to the forum. There is nothing like a good rescue.

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
Thanks guys. No softs spots that I have found. I will get to grinding.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I love this picture.

It really shows how bad a boat can look, and still clean up nicely. Keep us up to date on your progress. More Pictures please.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
She is an Iowa farm girl. Nearly ready to hitch a ride on a pickup, heading up to the lake.
" A heart don't forget something like that."