advice on ordering new 309

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2009
catalina 309 hull #182 skull creek marina hiltlon head
hi,
new to site and getting ready to order new 309. any advice on must haves and really don't need as far as options. don't think we need a windless but the wife thinks it would be nice. any inuput on that or anything else? does anyone know what you give up as far as cabinet space when factory installs reverse cycle heat and air. thinking about the 150 genoa and possibly the spinnaker. any input is appreciated. we are on the east coast hilton head island,
thanks robert

Mar 5, 2008
Beneteau 331 Lake Texoma
I have purchased a lot of boats in my life, very few new ones. I started with the Catalina 27, then the C-30, then the C-36, then the C-380, a new one, then the C- 400, my second new one, that was my retirement boat to go to the islands on, but that did'nt work out. so it was back to a C-387, and then to my current boat and certainly one of my all time favorites the C-309, a 2006 model. All my boats through the years have come along due to deals that I have come across, even the new ones were where someone had odered the boats and could'nt come up with the money to complete the deal at the end. They were all deals.
I have no connection at all with this deal, but you might want to check it out if you are ready to buy a 309. There is a 2006 C-309 listed in Ft Worth Texas, that would have to be a fresh water boat, by a broker in Florida called Hake Yacht Sales. My boat is on Lake Texoma 90 miles North of Dallas, which is the largest around this area, but the boat is not on this lake. I don't know which lake it on, but they are asking $ 89,900 for the boat. They say the it has only been sailed 10 times, the head never used, and the Yanmar has only 2 hours on it. It has all electronicsyou would need to get started and , A/C and heat , plus two 4D batteries and a 27 stater battery. I was thinking about buying it and reselling it in the spring. If You go into Yacht World.Com Put in Catalina as the brand, then put in 31 to 31 as the length, then put in 2006 to 2006 as the year then use the pull down to sellect the price range of $75,000 to $100,000. This should bring this boat up. Like I said I have no connection with this boat or the broker. If you want to talk about Catalina 309's, I do have one. that I sail single handed all the time. I don't sleep on it as I only live about four miles from the marina. My name is Steve Tillman jst50@graysoncable.com 903-786-3637

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'd skip the windlass, or at the very least closely read the manual for the windlass they supply. If you actually followed the instructions in the manual, you'd find that it should only be used for the final vertical haul-up of the anchor. The maintenance schedule on it should be reviewed before purchase, too.
You decide whether the ultra-leather is a decent upgrade over cloth. We bought our's off the lot and it has the ultraleather, but it hasn't really made our lives any better...cloth'd be fine.
I would seriously consider not having Catalina supply the dodger and/or bimini. They are of medium quality, and you could probably do better locally. Also, the hardware is put on by the dodger people, not Catalina, and it's not properly bedded. We had hairline cracks as a result. Also, I'm 5'11" and the top of the dodger is right in my line of site when I stand at the wheel. A couple inches shorter would have been real nice.
The folding wheel is nice, but I don't fold it very often. It's not that hard to simply remove the wheel if you plan to entertain in the cockpit. The leather wrap's nice, though.
If you get the furling mainsail, beware. We had to have the vertical battens removed (and leach of the sail re-sewn) because they jammed in the mast. It's no fun to have the sail half out and JAMMED. Either find out from actual owners whether the current batten system actually works or don't get them.
Regarding headsail: we have the 150. The 309's a boat that relies on it's headsail a lot. I'm happy daysailing on just the headsail often. Sailing on just the main doesn't seem to work so well (even when the batten's were in it...no real difference). Still, it might have been nice to get the 135 and some sort of assymetrical for downwind and light air. I say that because the 150 is often more than we need, and you can only furl it so much without changing the shape of the sail. And the 150's more to deal with every time you tack as compared to a 135. I don't have the final solution, but you're right to be thinking hard about this.
I don't know if they're stock or not, but the curtains are not the greatest. The pleated design looks nice inside and out, but they're difficult to roll up. Try 'em.
Our boat came with the little cocktail table. We used it at first, but now it's stored at home because the stock (big) table is so handy. Switching back and forth is kind of a pain because the big table stores in the aft cabin...gotta be wrestled out.
Our cradle doesn't have screw jacks in it. There are pins instead, so you can't micro adjust the pads to the hull. That's stupid, as it means your yard will have to do extra shimming under the keel and maybe at the individual pads. And hopefully do it right. My ex-yard did it wrong and damaged my boat. This would be something to try and negotiate. I'm going to slide some pipe into each of my uprights to take up some of the slack and then slip screw jacks into the pipes, but that'll cost me about $400.00 or so.
I don't know what they charge for a stereo system. Our boat didn't come with one, but it's prewired for the speakers. Because it's wired, it would certainly an easy job to add your own if you're fussy about the components...be interesting to see the cost difference if you're in
terested in a sound system.
We never use the optional folding door for the forward cabin.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Ditto all of the above. I agree that the cockpit canvas supplied with the boat doesn't fit that well (though the hardware seems to be bedded ok). Definately add your own stereo - really easy, given the speaker pre-wiring. In fact, adding or upgrading the electronics and electrical systems is greatly simplified on these boats by the glassed-in conduits that run through most of the hidden areas. I have the standard cloth cushions, and actually find them more comfortable in hot weather. My jib is a 135, and is usually more than adequate. Consider either ordering or having a marine electronics dealer install an autopilot; this is essential if you plan to do any singlehanding. Also, though they aren't essential, I installed masthead wind instruments last year and don't know how I did without them before (my neck doesn't come home sore anymore). I've had my dining table stored in the aft cabin for 2 years now - we use a pedestal-mounted cockpit table, and really enjoy the extra space in the cabin.

Enjoy the boat - she's comfortable, and a good sailor for the price.

Apr 6, 2009
2 309 Frog Motar Creek
I also agree with the comments as to the canvas, I can never get my bimini to set up well, and if i where to buy a new one it would not interfere with the boom like the stock. I have a 155 genny and agree the 135 or even smaller is the better choice over all, do get a foam luff, put the money differance toward a Asym spinnaker.
Given the negative comments I have read about the vertical batten main the stock must be of poor design or quality as I had mine custom made in 06, by a local sailmaker. I have 3000KM on the GPS, and have never had a jam, if they dont come to the boat to measure the mast then you dont want them to make the sail.
If you have basic mechanical skills installing the AC yourself is not that difficult, you just have to get past drilling holes in a new boat. The port side has a run from stern to V berth up near the deck to hull joint that will handle and hide a 3 inch hose. Only space l lost is in the port cockpit locker for the unit and exhaust ductwork to the bulkhead in the galley. Dont have a windlass but in my research I have found that as previously mentioned the ones that go in the anchor locker are only good for pulling up the last of the chain and the anchor.
When I bought my 250 I got the pleated curtains from Catalina and did not think they where worth the money. Made my own for the 309 from valances I bought at WalMart.
Think about having a city water connection, with pressure reducing valve plumbed in, makes life easier given the 40 gal of storage avail, set mine up to enable me to fill the tank from inside the cabin.
How ever you set your boat up it is fun to sail and comfortable to cruise on, enjoy.

Oct 16, 2009
thanks to all

thanks to everyone that has replied. a lot of good information was provide and will be considerd. many things that we had not thought of and is helping us make some choices. anyone else that has anything to contribute please feel free, thanks again

robert

B

Bernie Hoban

ordering a new 309

Not sure if you ordered you new boat yet but I went through this in 2008 when I bought hull #138 Catalina 309. The only problem I had was with their canvas. the boat came with a full bimini which didn't close! it was made for the tropics and I sil in the long island sound. So that had to be removed and re-tooled into a regular bimini that can be opened and closed and covered.

I did get the higher end wheel that can be folded. It helps when you want to access the swim platform. The sound system they installed was fine. One thing however, I wish the reversed the position of the VHF radio and the sound system, with the way they installed it, I can't open the nav., table top up all the way due to the VHF mic is in the way.

ONE THING that is a must would be the power windless, I think that is the best option! it is that little bit of help you have when you need it! The upgrade of the leather look is much better than any cloth they offer. It cleans up nicely and is very comfortable as well as looks ten times better than the cloth!

it is a great boat!

Oct 16, 2009
Re: ordering a new 309

thanks bernie,
boat is here getting last minute add on's and making sure we get out the new boat flaw's before we take it to hilton head the first of march.

we did get the windlass although they installed it wrong and dealer is taking care of it. also got the wheel and i agree with you on that i can see where it would definetly be easier to access the swim platform. the bimini that came on the boat does open and close with a cover.

the berth's we are working on as they hard as the floor. did a lot of reading and we put a 3" iso cool memory foam topper that is reallly very comfortable. left foward berth for later. laid out the berth cushions on memory foam and cut it out with an electric knife per another boat web site and it looked like it came from factory. however making the aft cabin up is reallly a pain but i guess that's one of those thing we willl just have to get over it.

did you have need for any solar or wind generator? if so what did you go with.

thanks robert

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Solar or wind

It depends on how you use your boat. I am the oddball in my marina as I never plug in my boat to the dock. I have a 15 watt solar panel mounted to the stern rail behind the seat with a BatteryMindr (I think the spelling is right) charge controller with the desulpinator. This keeps my batteries topped off all the time. Unless you are going off for weeks at a time or living aboard at anchor you should not need wind or a lot of solar capacity.

The wind generators can get a bit noisy.

One thing you should consider is to get the VHF with remote in the cockpit. I have the Standard Horizon which is great, and I also have it wired to my GPS for DSC as well as to the autopilot. I installed my own autopilot and it was pretty simple, especially on the 309 and I saw the X-5 somewhere for under $900 recently.

Oct 16, 2009
Re: Solar or wind

thanks rpwillia,
sounds like good advice. do have the vhf with remote in cockpit and i believe the same standard horizon radio. have a raymarine c90w chartpotter with raymarine autopilot. not sure if it the radio is wired to autopilot as i am still a greenhorn at all this electronic stuff. will soon be reading all the manuals to educate mystelf as much as i can with the reading.

Sep 29, 2008
GPS to Radio for DSC

same standard horizon radio. have a raymarine c90w chartpotter with raymarine autopilot. not sure if it the radio is wired to autopilot as i am still a greenhorn at all this electronic stuff. will soon be reading all the manuals to educate mystelf as much as i can with the reading.
Easy to tell if they are wired (see lat/lon on radio in attached). As you are dealing with NMEA 0183 there are only 2 wires. There will be an output on your chartplotter for the NMEA out and on the back of the 6002 control head on the AP there are an NMEA + and - connection to connect there or on the computer down below (pick the closer one). The radio should have the harness below with two wires that also connect in. Only problem I had was with the ground (floating a little?) that went away when I added an additional ground connection in the panel.

Attachments

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 309 Ottawa
Re: GPS to Radio for DSC

Robert,

I've been following your thread with interest. There has been a lot of good info shared by the members, I only wish that I'd had the benefit of the collective wisdom when I ordered my boat. I agree with nearly all of what has been said. The only thing that I would add deals with a folding prop. I ordered one with my boat and feel that it is one of the best accessories that I chose. Whether or not you would agree depends on what you want out of sailing. In my case we have a lot of light wind days in the mid summer and having a 150 genny and the folding prop allows us to enjoy sailing when others prefer to motor. On the other days when the wind pipes up you can really have a trilling ride. The C309 is a blast to sail and will certainly keep up with or do better than a lot of other cruising boats while letting you cruise in style.

Congratulations with your new boat and I wish you happy times and fair winds.

Gary
Glory Days
C309 #136

Sep 10, 2007
Catalina 309 Lake Tahoe
309 bimini

We ordered the bimini and the dealer did not know you could not retract it.
We have not found a solution to retrofit the bimini. Has anyone else?

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Re: 309 bimini

My bimini and its frame folds - it came with a cover that zips over it when it's folded up. Are you sure the frame is rigid? All the other 309's I've seen have folding bimini from the factory.

Feb 9, 2010
Undecided 30' Something Oyster Bay, NY
the berth's we are working on as they hard as the floor. did a lot of reading and we put a 3" iso cool memory foam topper that is reallly very comfortable. left foward berth for later. laid out the berth cushions on memory foam and cut it out with an electric knife per another boat web site and it looked like it came from factory.
Did you look at the Froli Sleep Systems?

One thing however, I wish the reversed the position of the VHF radio and the sound system, with the way they installed it, I can't open the nav., table top up all the way due to the VHF mic is in the way.
I'm costing out a 309 and the prices the factory charges for electronics are sinful. Add to the fact that they were not installed to your liking only adds insult to injury.

Are dealers inclined to negotiate an electronics package that is installed at the yard which would give you more input into custom installation and provide a considerable savings from the electronics installed at the factory?

Sep 29, 2008
One more thing ...

A few will disagree with me, but I invested in a line cutter since the crab pots can get so back on the river you can almost walk on them. After diving on one at 0500 in cool water to get one off I decided it was a worthy investment. Don't recall the name of the one I got but it is solid and slides over the shaft.

Oct 16, 2009
Re: One more thing ...

thanks again rpwilla sounds like good advice will check into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.