Adding Shore Power to Oday 23-2

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Seeking advice and experience (good/bad) installing shore power.
Specifically location of inlet and panel etc.
This is what I have just ordered.
30A Smartplug inlet and cordset with dual configuration
Paneltronics 3 Position Breaker Panel & Main with LEDs
Pro Mariner ProSafe Failsafe 30 amp Galvanic Isolator
marine grade 12/3 wire to run to ac GFCI marine grade outlets
Marine grade 10/3 wire to run from smart plug inlet to panel
So not sure of best location for inlet and panel. Pictures, advice, mistakes, warnings, success stories all welcome. Thank you and Godspeed in the New Year Scott

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
What, you don't like stringing the extension cord in through the hatch anymore. This was one of my next projects before I decided to sell the O'Day, this spring, to fund my project boat. The panel I was looking at would fit under the original DC panel. The depth was going to be a little problem so I planned to space both panels out with wood or plastic trim. Trying to find a flat spot for the plug was going to be a little more of a challenge. At first I thought on the outside of the cockpit coaming just aft of the genoa track would be good but it would be a tripping hazard. The aft end of the cockpit coaming would be the best but require a longer shore power cord. A 30' cord would still reach from a standard slip outlet position on the correct side. In the end I planned to build a spacer (rounded to flat) and put the cord inlet on the forward section of cockpit coaming next to the cabin. This would give the shortest wire runs, a place to mount the isolator, and has good access. From this position the cord has a good angle to run along the deck to the bow to either side for slip outlet box. I'm going sailing tomorrow so I will look around on the boat to see if there might be other options I missed.

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Thanks for the comments LeeandRic. We are thinking along similar lines. We were running a small AC air conditioner last year (real redneck style) and my wife woke me up in the middle of the night and said she smelled smoke. I woke up in terror, thinking we were already dead only to realize the winds were blowing in our direction from the campground down the street. It was then I decided we would do it the right way. So yes, extension cord days are over. Don't need that stress when I am sailing. Thanks again for your advice.