Adding Second Bow Anchor on Hunter 44DS

Apr 2, 2018
Hunter 44 Hampton VA
Has anyone added a second anchor on the bow so both anchors are readily deployable? If so, please discuss anchor types and how it was done.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Post is getting a bit stale so thought I would add my two cents worth. Different model than yours, but likely from the same hull mold. Our 1991 P42 came equipped with a bow roller designed and built for two anchors. Whether the boat was originally provisioned with two anchors, I know not. But when we took possession in 2002 it had a 40 pound Danforth and a 25 pound CQR mounted on the bow roller. Both are ready for immediate deployment, but in all these years I have yet to use the CQR.

The CQR seems a bit light for our 35,000 pound boat, I suppose in a pinch would do the job. I really like our Danforth. It has done well after hundreds of uses. Three times at anchor when it moved and each time I understand why; another story.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Has anyone added a second anchor on the bow so both anchors are readily deployable? If so, please discuss anchor types and how it was done.
I had a Bruce mounted on the shorter roller for a while. I never used it and got rid of it. I only use my Fortress now but we in SoCal don't do a lot of anchoring.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Most of the time when I see two anchors on a bow, they are side by side. Most of the time, they are two different types of anchors, but sometimes they are twins. The twins are usually on boats that stay in one general area & only anchor in one type of bottom. The boats with different anchors are usually the ones that do more traveling & go to places with different bottom types. Sometimes it's one small anchor & one big one, with the small anchor being the "lunch hook". The few systems that I have seen with one anchor mounted in front of the other, on an extended bow roller gizmo, did not leave me with the warm & fuzzys from a structural perspective. I assume that is why the side by side rigs are more popular.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I do not recommend it. Just get a good anchor, my recommendation is a Mantus, as the primary anchor and if you cruise, a Mantus as backup in the lazorette. The only time I've ever needed more than 1 anchor is doing bahamian mooring (three times) or anchoring my stern to stay out of a channel (once) in 6 years of cruising. For both I pulled out the Mantus and put it together.

I rode out Hurricane Sandy in Marsh Harbour with 90 knots of wind on my Mantus and she didn't drag but a foot to dig deeper. I know for a fact because I had my bulwagga in tandem with 2 feet of chain slack before the storm and 1 foot after the storm. I could not see the Mantus after the storm though. Roll bar was 6 inches below the surface.

Back when I used the Danforth that the boat came with and it dragged due to a wind shift, I would just start the engine immediately and motor forward while pulling the anchor up and reset it. I feel that is a better approach than throwing out a second anchor.