Adding lower Jib Cars on a Oceanis 351

Jeramy

Aug 19, 2018
Beneteau 351 Nanaimo
Hi there, I recently purchased a 94 Oceanis 351, I have been enjoying it both for cruising with the family and sailing around local waters, I have had some more experienced sailors on to help me gain knowledge and skill (as would still consider myself more or less a beginner sailor) and more than one has commented on the Jib car location.

This boat has the jib cars up on the cabin roof and when trimming the headsail while sailing close-hauled you cant quite sheet the sail in enough because the rigging interferes with the sail as you tighten the sheet.
I was wondering if adding a second set of cars near the toe rail, and possibly aft of the existing cars would make much difference performance wise, and wondering if anyone has done it on this or similar boat.

I have no plans to race this boat but the current locations seem poor.

Any advice is much appreciated

Jeramy

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It is quite common for sailboats to have more than one jib car track to change the sail's sheeting angle. That's what will happen when you put down an outside track.... often called the "genoa track".... the sail's angle with the centerline of the boat and the stemhead will be opened.... and this can be a good thing for certain points of sail.

Have you tried running the sheets "inside" the shrouds for close hauling.... and shifting them outside for reaching? Try that some time... it means you may have to go forward... do it while the sail is on the other tack... leave both in and out sheets attached... see if you're able to point higher.

The point is, there is no reason not to experiment. You can save the roof top leads for pointing with the sheets inside the rigging. Attach a block to the toe rail, or rig up what's called a "barber hauler" (google it) before going to the expense of installing a new track and cars....

Jeramy

Aug 19, 2018
Beneteau 351 Nanaimo
Hey thanks Joe, I never thought to run the sheets inside, i will look into, on a bigger head-sail i think the spreaders may get in the way, but with my 120 it might work ok. I did think of just adding a block or two to the toe rail but was unsure if the rail could support this much force. There are two extra winched installed close to the stern to run the sheets to for this as well, they were put on to run the spinnaker sheets to I think and are a bit small but should work ok.

Thanks again for the advice.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You're right, questionable track positioning on the 351. Add to what Joe said, tracks on the cabintop are great for jibs, but genoa tracks should be down by the shrouds on the deck. If you're up for the project, it would be a great addition. Just watch for your sheeting run to the winches.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I've tried using a block at the tow rail in various positions and also moved the genoa winches back to the wheel for better single handling. It opens the slot a bit more but there is very little difference in close hauling or better pointing. When running on a reach the sheet will rub against the life lines wearing them. I had to replace mine.
If you try to run the sheet through a block and up to the cabin winch, the entrance angle to the winch will be wrong and you'll get over wrap.
Also access to the underside to mount the track is problematic.

https://beneteau.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=182&aid=100068&mn=352

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
The 351 only has 2 winches, The sheets line up as they come through the clam cleats, I believe this is the reason for the factory track position . Of course a block on the toe rail will allow a straighter line to the winch

Jeramy

Aug 19, 2018
Beneteau 351 Nanaimo
I have two extra winched installed where you would typically run the jib sheets to, they were installed for runnind spinnaker sheets to but if i add a block along the toe rail somewhere they should work well for a genoa setup, not sure how the lifelines will interfere with the block being right on the toe, but will give it a try.