Active Captain functions

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I will say this quite plainly. I really HATE the new Active Captain since Garmin bought them out. The old version was easier to use and I really liked it.

I use to spend a lot of time on Active Captain in the winter day dreaming and planning different routes for cruises. Even now I use it to view charts for fishing since I am in between sailboats. Now, I spend less time on it and get irritated with it when I do go on it.

Often "Progress" on these programs just makes them more complicated, less useful, and makes you have to relearn them.
Funny I used to use it similarly to plan new routes and look up new marinas to stop for the night during said trips. It is useless to me now and I will give B&G my money when it comes to new equipment because I see what idiots the folks at Garmin are, having ruined a perfectly good app. If it doesn't have the input of the whole boating community it's not being used as originally designed, nor to it's fullest potential.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I will say this quite plainly. I really HATE the new Active Captain since Garmin bought them out. The old version was easier to use and I really liked it.

I use to spend a lot of time on Active Captain in the winter day dreaming and planning different routes for cruises. Even now I use it to view charts for fishing since I am in between sailboats. Now, I spend less time on it and get irritated with it when I do go on it.

Often "Progress" on these programs just makes them more complicated, less useful, and makes you have to relearn them.
+ 1 Haven't even looked at AC for several years.. Started out simple, then got tcchie

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I use Waggoner’s Guide up her in the Pacific NW waters. Not much input (except that from @Ken Cross ) to use or to identify as current. Suspect each area has their own best resource.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I use Active Captain and it works well in our area. It's hard to find a potential Anchorage that hasn't been reviewed. It works great with MX Mariner on my phone and with AquaMap on our iPad.

Ken

Jun 8, 2018
Hunter H27 Bay St Louis, Mississippi
I've had good luck with near coastal cruising using AquaMap. Its a heck of a lot cheaper than a new dedicated instrument that can be potentially stolen. My iPad or my iPhone mounts easily to my control station.

IMG_6544.PNG