Registered users don't see ads

According to BoatUS August is Run Aground Month.

Discussion in 'Sails Call Lounge' started by jssailem, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:21 AM. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,897 posts, 2,061 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Reading my Dec 2017 magazine again I noted the article about running aground. It is reported that the greatest number of claims occur in the month of August.

Most of the stories reported involved boaters who were distracted. One young man had 5 Bank tellers aboard and was treating the ladies to a harbor cruise. I can understand how such an opportunity could be distracting to a young lad.

Be careful out there. If you untie the dock lines and take your boat out on the water, it is often stated that running aground is not a question of "IF but When".

Be safe out there.

jon hansen likes this.
  2. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,344 posts, 828 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    Yesterday I violated the harbormaster's red flag. Had a nice sail then anchored and swum in the swelly Bahia Algodones. Passed within 500 yards of some well-known rocks.
    Bunch of authoritarian...

3. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,897 posts, 2,061 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    You know if you are sailing around in a hobbie cat you can sail right up on the beach. That is not considered a grounding. ;)

Top 5 states listed with the greatest number of grounding claims? Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Florida, Maryland.

4. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    547 posts, 160 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    I did my grounding in July. Do I have to go out and do another one to celebrate Grounding Month?

5. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    255 posts, 93 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    Valiant US Watergate Marina, Kemah, TX
    @jssailem ,
    Probably because adult sailors are letting their kids navigate and they'd rather die than go back to school...;)

jssailem likes this.
  6. danm1

danm1

Joined Oct 5, 2013
    56 posts, 24 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mamaroneck, NY
    So, years ago I ran aground just off the channel coming into Mystic CT. Backed off with no problem. Two weeks later my wife gave me a beautiful framed poster of the river, with a little red x. I get no respect.

jssailem likes this.

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!