a new headsail

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
my local sail loft has lost(???) my three year old 145 genoa - which is what catalina suggested for long island sound. in the meantime they are giving me a brand new 110. i do not race. any thoughts?

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I would have them make good on replacing your 145 instead of a 110. The cost difference between a 110 and a 145 is very small. I suspect they have a 110 laying around which may or may not be designed for a Cat 30. I doubt you would be happy with a 110 if the 145 worked for you. You may offer to pay the difference since your 145 was 3 years old if it was well used .

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
thanks, but making somebody pay is not always as easy as it sounds, and i get to use the sail they are offering right now instead of waiting for a new sail. right now i only care about sailing with the 110 vs a 145.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
My thought would be "How do you lose something like that?".
I'd also make them replace like for like.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Get 135 to 145 replacement. Use their 110 till completed

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Well if it's gone, it's gone. If you take the new 110 in exchange and use it, you're done. You can ask (demand) that they build you a new 145 for replacement, which I seriously doubt they will do. You can ask them for the retail cash-out value of a 3-yr-old 145 which could be less than the value (cost) of a new 110. Anyway, I doubt they would elect to do that since you never gave them cash; doesn't really work that way. But if they did you'd have no headsail and would not have the full cash amount to build a new 140. So, where does that leave us? One way or another, you have to settle for something if they won't build you a new 145. I'd go with the new 110 and get over it.:mad:

Another thought--ask your insurance guy if yours is a covered loss; let them deal with it. Maybe that will get you a full-value replacement (less deductible).

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have a 1983 Hunter 31 and I have both a 155 and a 110. I've sailed a lot with the 155 and it's great, especially downwind. Over about 18 knots the 155 gets hard to balance (except downwind). This time of year down here I keep,the 110 on because we regularly get 15-20 knots in the late afternoon. It sails great with the 110 and the main or just the 110.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
kings gambit, you nailed my thoughts exactly. among other things, i want to keep a reationship with the sail loft and want nothing to do with my insurance company unless i have a big claim.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
and thanks guys, but my question is really about sailing with a 110 vs. a 145 and not about dealing with the sail loft. my boat came with a large genoa and i have no real expericence with a smaller headsail.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
and thanks guys, but my question is really about sailing with a 110 vs. a 145 and not about dealing with the sail loft. my boat came with a large genoa and i have no real expericence with a smaller headsail.
It's easier to sail with a 110 than a 140; much less cranking following tacks and jibes. Can sail to weather in higher winds w/o having to feather, furl or switch to a smaller headsail. Slower in light air, of course; but if you're not racing or going anywhere in particular where you need to keep up speed, then what the 'ell?

I had a 110 and 155 on my Pearson 30. During winter & spring here in So. Cal. (Long Beach) I'd use the 110 a lot (i.e., kept it on the furler), it being more blustery at times w/ more SCAs than in summer. Hardly noticed much change in boat speed b/c if you're going hull speed through the water, that's about all you get regardless of how much sail "horse power" you have pulling. When I relocated the boat I own now (Bavaria 38E) to Ventura, a generally windier place than Long Beach, I put a No. 2 genoa (120%) on the headstay/furler, bagging my larger 136% of that boat which has not re-emerged for three years now. I also have an older Dacron No. 1 genoa (155% ) for beer-can racing in the advanced dilettante class (a virtual PHRF class for experienced fogies "racing" short-handed in heavy cruising yachts :ass:) that is also now in dis-use.:frown:

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I fail to understand not having an expectation of getting the same size sail back. How do you lose yiur relationship with them when they are in error? Why do you want a relationship if they won't make good in losing your sail in their care?
Compare this to a golf shop losing your driver, are you going to take a 2 iron in return? I don't get this at all.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
ok, here goes.

they didn't lose a new sail, they lost a used one. they don't have catalina cut genoas laying around to give out (does anyone??), so who knows how much sailing i'd lose this summer if i waited for a sail to be made. i don't believe in buying expensive sails from people who don't fit them on the boat. they, at least partially based on a long relation ship, are being quite civil. they are the only decent saill loft around. they are not trying to make me keep the new -yes new - sail unless i don't like it or my old one shows up. and, i don't know of many golf clubs that have to be made far away and fitted on arrival, as opposed to being unwrapped at most. and, if you toss in some of the replies here and stu's referenced discussion, this may not be a loss after all. i sail in a fairly close community and being a hard ass may come around to bite your own someday.

capi?