A 91' daysailer needs a big keel.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The biggest keel I've ever seen. In the specs, the keel is reported to be a SS foil with the weight down in the bulb. The weight: 42,770 pounds. That's a big sawhorse along side.
42,770 pound keel (1 of 1).jpg

They're building the hull right now in my harbor. That will be towed to Brooklin Boatyard on the Eggemoggin Reach, to be finished for a 2018 launch.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Interesting assortment of stud sizes??
Any idea who poured that thing? That's definitely one you want to get right the first time. We did a 6000# keel for a 39' custom - ruined my chain saw cutting up the first one. First mold was a fiberglass shell with sand around it - didn't hold. Second mold was cement in a hole in the ground. Getting the keel and mold out of the hole was a bear - took a big tow truck.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Interesting assortment of stud sizes??
Any idea who poured that thing? That's definitely one you want to get right the first time. We did a 6000# keel for a 39' custom - ruined my chain saw cutting up the first one. First mold was a fiberglass shell with sand around it - didn't hold. Second mold was cement in a hole in the ground. Getting the keel and mold out of the hole was a bear - took a big tow truck.
I don't know but it came in on a tractor trailer. I'm assuming the upper foil is hollow stainless steel construction. I could see the SS boxes' like raceways' sticking out along with the bolts. Those bolts are many and big!

Then the bulb is likely lead(?) and may extend inside the SS foil?

It looks like a shoal draft keel design to me. The cord, which I would think is where the 'foiling' action takes place, is pretty short. The length of the keel must be around 16' or so. I'd think that keel trades off some performance for draft. It also looks very strong, like the designer was using common sense in envisioning a grounding, which does happen.

Even with the short-ish long keel, she'll draw 10'.
Divide by 2 = a 50' hull would be 5' draft. I'd call that a shoal keel.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The keel is shoal for sure. Might be needed for its sailing area, but it will certainly give up performance due to a ton of extra displacement, and pointing. Pointing better if it has a centerboard, but unlikely with that bulblet.

But what a weird setup!

I get the big daysailor thing; its all the rage in Europe. But the design has lots of funny features:

Running backs on a boat that looks like it is NEVER going to fly a spinnaker? Now you need dedicated crew to flip the backs! Why not just a single backstay?

What are those tracks AFT of the shrouds for??

Winches at the mastbase for halyards? What is this? 1978? The 2:1 halyards will be miles long, and no place to put them.

Even on the winch, the mainsheet is going to be a BEAR, and hard to get unless dedicated crew are along.

The running backs ahead of the end of the boom is a unnecessary complication, and makes the run (not shown!) back to the dedicated winches more complex.

At some point the owner (or the next!) will want to race that thing, and for 90+ feet that's going to be cramped and painful.

It's quite possible its a preliminary rendering, before the deck architect figures all that stuff out.

On the plus side its pretty enough, and I like the electric headsail furlers. Will be interesting to see what they do for mainsail management.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I expect it will run a 90 cutter rig jib sheeted well inboard and furl a code zero on the forestay. With that long Island Packet'ish keel the design imperative certainly seems to fit the "gentlemen don't sail to windward" rule.

Todd D

Jul 4, 2012
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
I very much doubt the owner will do more than steer. Uniformed crew will do all the work.

Nov 8, 2010
I expect it will run a 90 cutter rig jib sheeted well inboard and furl a code zero on the forestay. With that long Island Packet'ish keel the design imperative certainly seems to fit the "gentlemen don't sail to windward" rule.
I thought about that, and the bow pulpit design would allow it.

But the deck hardware is all wrong for that, and it would create an amazingly small fore-triangle for that huge main.

But who knows? ;^)

Nov 8, 2010
I very much doubt the owner will do more than steer. Uniformed crew will do all the work.
Maybe. ;^)

Put part of the appeal of a 'daysailor' concept is limited or no (pro) crew, even on the bigger boats. There is just not a lot of room for crew to work anyway.

If you want crew on board, just buy a Wally Centro and call it a day!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Check out what Brookline Boatyard has going on in shop!
Thanks for that! And Al, this explains the SS boxes in the foil of the keel. This is from the Brooklin FB pages. The keel structure for the 91'er showing the square cuts to house the boxes. Maybe there is tankage in the foil and these are pipe/wire chases?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I think you're right. I heard a rumor (no idea if it is true), the new owner, is in(or close to) his 90's. :yikes:

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
If the fin is a hollow stainless fabrication, using it for tankage makes sense. The boxes would provide access for piping and level sensors. That custom keel we made was tapered both ways - profile: wider at bottom, beam view also wider at bottom. Top of keel and attachment flange were a stainless fabrication - lead alone wouldn't have had the strength necessary.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
As an aside, last night on the Baltimore Beltway, a 480,000 pound pump or generator or such came off the flatbed trailer. Messed up the road, blocked traffic, may still be there for all I know. They expected it would take some effort to get a crane to handle it. Half a million pounds. Films at 6 and 11 .

Nov 8, 2010
As an aside, last night on the Baltimore Beltway, a 480,000 pound pump or generator or such came off the flatbed trailer. Messed up the road, blocked traffic, may still be there for all I know. They expected it would take some effort to get a crane to handle it. Half a million pounds. Films at 6 and 11 .
Holy cow. How many axles??????

Most DOTs have a max load of 20000 lbs/axle. That load would require a 24 axle trailer!

Happens!

http://www.livetrucking.com/this-may-be-the-heaviest-oversized-load-ever-hauled-in-america/

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Usually you'd see news coverage like this from a helicopter, but I have not seen a picture of the scene from the air. That happened Wednesday night, It is still there on Friday morning, blocking a lane.