90 HP Outboard Question

Sep 8, 2017
Magregor 26M Grande Prairie
For those of you that use a 90 HP outboard, how many knots can you get her to go with the mast still attached? Are you confident running it without the water ballast full to get more speed? If so, how fast can she go with the ballast emptied?

Sep 8, 2017
Sounds like a question for Hunter to answer- if they would.
I have seen a few ads for MacGregors 26M’s with 90HP. I was looking at a 26X last weekend with a 50HP and it couldn’t get over 8 knots with the ballast full and the Swing Keel just barely down.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the manufacturers instructions for the operation of the water ballast tanks. Boats have floundered and people have died because of improper use.

Sep 8, 2017
Check the manufacturers instructions for the operation of the water ballast tanks. Boats have floundered and people have died because of improper use.
That’s terrible and I get that the ballast should always be full when in use but my question is, what speed can you expect to get to using a 90HP outboard? I’m just wondering if I choose to purchase a Mac, would it make a significant difference if I upgraded to a 90HP? Or will it not make much of a difference because of the boat design?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There was a couple in our yacht club the had a 26M with a 90hp motor. They wanted to be able to water ski behind it. I'm not sure if they ever did. Now they are in Texas. They might be active on here and able to help. I don't have any contact info.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
From the Macgregor site....

"SPECIAL SAFETY INFORMATION 26M
SPECIAL SAFETY WARNINGS:
Boats, like any other form of transportation, have inherent risks. Attentions to these warnings and instructions should help keep these risks to a minimum.

THE WATER BALLAST TANK SHOULD BE FULL WHEN EITHER POWERING OR SAILING.

IF THE BALLAST TANK IS NOT COMPLETELY FULL, THE BOAT IS NOT SELF RIGHTING. (IF YOU CHOOSE TO OPERATE THE BOAT WITH AN EMPTY TANK, SEE THE SECTION ON OPERATING THE BOAT WITHOUT WATER BALLAST.)

WHEN THE BALLAST TANK IS FULL:
- NO MORE THAN 6 PERSONS, 960 POUNDS.

WHEN THE BALLAST TANK IS EMPTY:
- NO MORE THAN 4 PERSON, OR 640 POUNDS.
- CREW WEIGHT CENTERED FROM SIDE TO SIDE.
- ALL SAILS REMOVED, ENGINE POWER ONLY.
- NO ONE ON THE CABIN TOP OR FORDECK.
- WAVES LESS THAN 1 FOOT.
-OPERATE WHERE WATER IS WARM AND
RESCUE IS LIKELY.
- NEVER OPERATE THE BOAT WITH A PARTIALLY
FILLED TANK.

WHEN POWERING OVER 6 MILES PER HOUR:
- RUDDERS AND DAGGERBOARD FULL UP.
- SAILS REMOVED.
- NO ONE ON THE CABIN TOP OR FOREDECK.

ALWAYS, BEFORE OPERATING THE BOAT, CHECK TO CONFIRM THAT THE BALLAST TANK IS FULL. THE WATER LEVEL IN THE BALLAST TANK SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 1” BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE FORWARD VENT HOLE. THEN MAKE SURE THAT THE FORWARD VENT PLUG AND THE TRANSOM VALVE ARE CLOSED AND SECURE.

THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS EXPLAIN WHY THE ABOVE RULES ARE NECESSARY.

STABILITY.
Unless the water ballast tank is completely full, with 1000 pounds of water ballast, the sailboat is not self-righting. Without the water ballast, the boat may not return to an upright position if the boat is tipped more than 60 degrees, and can capsize like most non-ballasted sailboats.

The MacGregor is big, but relatively light, and excessive crew weight can overpower the basic stability of the boat. For this reason, we have placed the restrictions on crew capacity, shown in the preceeding section.

OPERATING WITHOUT WATER BALLAST.
There may be times when you wish to operate the boat with an empty ballast tank. For example, when pulling a water skier, when trying to conserve fuel, when a faster ride is desired, or when you are in the process of filling the tank. Since only a few miles per hour are lost with a full tank, we recommend that most of your use of the boat be with a full tank. If the tank is empty, carry no more than 4 persons, or 640 pounds.

When operating with an empty ballast tank, keep the crew weight aft, low in the boat, and centered from side to side. Keep the crew in the cockpit, sitting down. The rear of the hull is relatively flat, and the nose area has a deep V to allow the boat to slide through waves with less slamming. If there is a lot of crew weight forward, the flat part of the hull bottom, which normally provides the stability, is raised higher out of the water, and is less effective in providing sideways stability. With the crew weight forward, the nose is depressed. The deep V nose shape does not contribute much to stability. When excess weight is at the front of the boat, the less stable nose area is carrying more of the weight of the boat and crew, the boat becomes far more easily tipped. Keep weight off of the forward V berth when under way, and avoid storing heavy items under the V berth. Crew members on the foredeck or cabin top are far more likely to get bounced out of the boat than those in the cockpit or inside the cabin. Anyone on the cabin top will have a natural tendency to grab the mast or mast support wires if the boat tips. That puts a heavy load high on the mast and tends to lever the boat over. Keep the weight low. Obviously, it is best to have the crew positioned so the boat sits or rides level rather than leaning to one side or the other.

Do not have the sails up when the ballast tank is empty. They can produce a very strong sideways force and capsize the boat.

If the waves are larger than one foot, they can induce a lot of rolling motion and compromise stability. Keep the ballast tank full in such conditions.

If you are operating where the chance of outside rescue is slim, where conditions are rough, or where the water is cold and uninviting, fill the ballast tank. You will go slower, but you will be a lot safer. A full ballast tank gives greater safety.

..............................."

More here....

http://www.macgregor26.com/safety/safety.htm

Sumner
=======================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Sep 8, 2017
Thanks Summer!
I am still interested at what speed can be attained with a 90HP, the swing keel partially down and the water ballasts full?

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
I have a 26x with a 1996 nissan 50hp 2cycle. Fully loaded heavy for a trip, two adults, mast up ballast empty I can eventually reach 14 to 15 mph in flat water, not running into the wind. Don't recall blade pitch but I got it right on the second try. I do have an 18 inch transom extension which did help. Poor fuel economy at wot.

Sep 8, 2017
The one I was looking at wouldn’t go near as fast as your video showed. Then again the seller wasn’t comfortable running it with the ballast empty. He felt it was too dangerous, the lake was pretty calm so I’m not sure if he was just being paranoid or what?

Oct 28, 2017
MacGregor 26m Hanson's harbor
I think the 90 horse is awesome, the only time I don't use ballast is if it's calm, any weather whatsoever the ballast is in also if more than 2 on board.
Speed with my etec maxed at 22mph± (at my boats lightest but we tend to run a little heavy)
Knock off 3 mph± for ballast or 19 mph.
4-5 gallons/hour burn rate.
We can be on plane at minimum of 12 mph± sipping fuel.

Sep 8, 2017
I think the 90 horse is awesome, the only time I don't use ballast is if it's calm, any weather whatsoever the ballast is in also if more than 2 on board.
Speed with my etec maxed at 22mph± (at my boats lightest but we tend to run a little heavy)
Knock off 3 mph± for ballast or 19 mph.
4-5 gallons/hour burn rate.
We can be on plane at minimum of 12 mph± sipping fuel.
Great info. Thank you!

Herbst

May 24, 2022
Macgregor 26M Utah Lake
Great info. Thank you!!
Thanks for posting this question. We're currently trying to make the same choice. So interested to know what you decided and in hindsight if you were pleased? We just got a 2008 26M with a Nissan 50HP with max speed about 12kts. We are considering a Suzuki 90 so we can more easily pull a tube/skier easier. Thanks for any info!