5cm drain hole in lazaret hull

Jul 24, 2018
Macgregor 26D Finger Lakes
Hello,
I am brand new on this forum, tho have been a reading visitor for some time.
I'm not sure if I looked in all the right places for previously asked questions. Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere.

I am working on a recently acquired 1988 Macgregor 26 D and am currently working on hull issues and repairs.
I'm guessing by what I've read online so far, that my situation in the lazaret is not original to any Macgregor boat?
I'm posting these questions with pics attached, and am happy to provide more if needed.
This is a 5 cm diameter drain hole with a screw type compression plug (galvanized metal plates inside & out, with a rubber donut between the exterior plate & hull). The bolt thru the center was a galvanized (and very rusted) 7mm round head, with a wingnut to tighten the whole thing together from in the lazaret.

So, the questions -
1. Is this just a flood accident waiting to happen that should be re-glassed etc, or is it a good idea to keep & make sound?
2. If I keep it, where can I find a new replacement plug?
Tho the plug I took off the boat was quite rusty & pitted; I have cleaned up & painted the metal pieces, and the rubber donut gasket is still fairly pliable, so could be used temporarily till I find a replacement.
3. Similarly, there is an approx 2" hole in the side wall of the lazaret leading to the drain/outboard engine area; one would guess a poorly executed opening for engine controls? That one seems like a no brainier to seal back up, but since I'm new to this boat, I figure I should ask..Is this hole worth keeping for anything specific?

Thanks for running such a great forum and I look forward to participating!
DC

Attachments

Jul 24, 2018
Hmm, okay?
I'm hard at work on this boat as I write this. As mentioned, this is my first ever cabin boat, so ignorance is rampant.
And since I'm fairly certain that, out of the many views to my questions, someone would have, at least an opinion, so, I don't understand "0 replies".
Would anyone care to tell me what's up?
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanx!

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have no idea. I know it can be frustrating to not receive a reply, but sometimes it just takes time to percolate through, so to speak.

Jun 4, 2015
Macgregor 26D Lake Country, BC
I would probably repair them using a piece of ply as filler and a few layers of saturated fiberglas cloth on both sides. A little white gelcoat after it’s hardened and done! Not too hard to do and you can always drill holes later if you need to. I’ve plugged several holes in my 26D from previous owners who added unnecessary “stuff”!

MccNeo

May 11, 2014
MacGregor 26S Evans
Hello CastAway,

I own a 26S model. The Lazarette and engine transom area has a similar configuration but without the modifications you picture.

I believe the openings are not for drainage but for engine controls and penetrations for fuel lines as you stated.

I needed a method to pass a fuel line and battery/engine cables from inside the lazarette to the engine. The cables were sizable (10 AWG I think). I installed a brass bukkhead fitting as a through penetration high on the lazarette wall and used gasoline rated hose on both inside and out to jump to the tank and the engine. The penetration is sealed except for the brass fitting the fuel passes through.

I also wanted to ensure I had a vent in the lazarette to ensure fumes would not be permitted to build up inside. I discovered following a day of sailing in a 18 knot breeze soon after acquiring the vessel that my fuel tank had overturned due to heal and lack of tie down. Additionally, the tank had a poorly maintained cap gasket resulting in a fuel spill of nearly two gallons of fuel into the bottom of the lazarette.

Due to this above experience, I wanted a lazarette vent, penetration for battery cables and fuel bulkhead fitting. IThey are all installed high on the lazarette wall providing at least a five inch margins to water level from the engine transom cutout so even if they fail the worst case scenerio is rain migrating into the lazarette.

I suspect the holes you are questioning were provided for similar reasons (less the vent function). However, it appears to me to be terrible placement with risk that they could become a flood source from the transom cutout.

I personally would patch them. If penetrationas are still necessary for engine controls, fuel line, battery, etc., them install them high on the wall well above the engine transom height to ensure margins against flooding.

Jul 24, 2018
Hi MccNeo and thank you for the thoughtful and descriptive reply.
I guess I assumed my pics were self-descriptive, and so didn't explain well - allow me to correct that;
The first pic is actually looking straight down from the lazaret hatch...aka, "the hole is in the floor & thru the bottom of the hull!"
The next 2 pics are the compression plug that was in said hole.
So, yes, you've confirmed my original thoughts without even knowing the worst of it - this is a well designed flood just waiting to happen.
For sure now, I'll be getting this boat to my fiberglass guy before it goes in the water.

The question I still would love to know the answer to though....why would anyone ever think it's a good idea to drill a big hole in the bottom of their boat!?!

Hello CastAway,

I own a 26S model. The Lazarette and engine transom area has a similar configuration but without the modifications you picture.

I believe the openings are not for drainage but for engine controls and penetrations for fuel lines as you stated.

I needed a method to pass a fuel line and battery/engine cables from inside the lazarette to the engine. The cables were sizable (10 AWG I think). I installed a brass bukkhead fitting as a through penetration high on the lazarette wall and used gasoline rated hose on both inside and out to jump to the tank and the engine. The penetration is sealed except for the brass fitting the fuel passes through.

I also wanted to ensure I had a vent in the lazarette to ensure fumes would not be permitted to build up inside. I discovered following a day of sailing in a 18 knot breeze soon after acquiring the vessel that my fuel tank had overturned due to heal and lack of tie down. Additionally, the tank had a poorly maintained cap gasket resulting in a fuel spill of nearly two gallons of fuel into the bottom of the lazarette.

Due to this above experience, I wanted a lazarette vent, penetration for battery cables and fuel bulkhead fitting. IThey are all installed high on the lazarette wall providing at least a five inch margins to water level from the engine transom cutout so even if they fail the worst case scenerio is rain migrating into the lazarette.

I suspect the holes you are questioning were provided for similar reasons (less the vent function). However, it appears to me to be terrible placement with risk that they could become a flood source from the transom cutout.

I personally would patch them. If penetrationas are still necessary for engine controls, fuel line, battery, etc., them install them high on the wall well above the engine transom height to ensure margins against flooding.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
The question I still would love to know the answer to though....why would anyone ever think it's a good idea to drill a big hole in the bottom of their boat!?!
With all the flotation foam there is no reason to keep the water out of the boat. Now, the laz is easy to clean, just open the hole and rinse. Besides, how else do you get the depth sensor connected. :).

I too had a problem figuring out the orientation of the pics. I agree that you should permanently plug that hole. My P.O. did some questionable things, but nothing like putting a 5cm hole in the bottom of the boat. And, at least in my 26D, the laz is not sealed from the rest of the boat.

In this area I like most of what he did. Will try to get some pics for you next weekend.