460 Commissioning Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Johnson

Well the ongoing commssioning is progressing. The A/C appears to be working, the generator is being looked at today. All the other stuff is pretty minor in comparison. We did have an opportunity to give her a good sail on 7/5. She sails very fast, but has a very definite weather helm. I hope this is just a tuning adjustment. We sailed in wind from 12 to 20 knots of breeze and the rudder was 10 to 20 degrees off center to keep her straight. With the rudder that far off center, it creates tremendous turbulence and slows the boat. But even with the rudder off center she still sailed to a max of 8-8 1/2 knots. A reef is in order at 16 to 18 knots of breeze. She was over powered at 20 knots close hauled. She cruises under power at a steady 8 1/2 knots at 3000rpm, and tops out at 9.4 wide open. Will keep you posted as things happen, and will write a review after more time aboard. MPJ

P

Patrick Magers

460 commissioning

Dear Mark: I am following your posts with keen interest. I'll be taking delivery of my 460 in mid september in San Diego. Have you tackled the design challenge of a dodger? I presently have a 40.5 which has been sailed in various wind and sea conitions over the last 5 years here in So. Ca. Going upwind in a beat when true wind exceeds 18 knots, its time for a reef. With the traveler down, my rudder angle is about 10 to 15 degrees and boat angle of heel is about 15 to 20 degrees.This is sailing solo without anyone on the rail. The main sail is usually vanged flat. Off the wind the boat takes off like a rocket and a reef is not necessary. In higher winds, close hulled, its important to kept the main as flat as possibe due to the large sail area. In my new boat, I ordered the roller furling main sail to make life easy.

G

How do you know?

How do you know that the rudder is 10 to 20 degrees off center? Do you mean the wheel is turned 10 to 20 degrees?

R

Richard Owen

460 Has Arrived!!!

I was at the boat yard for the past 2 days receiving hull #14. Had the boat surveyed - a few problems, but not anything insurmountable. Hope to be sailing her by the 24th. Boat looks great. The electrician advised that the Grunert compressor & pump draw the equivalent of 80 amps at 12 volts. Will be changing batteries and alternator to get close to 700 A/H capacity. It seems that in the tight engine compartment we can only get a 140 amp alternator in there. Sound right? Keep those reports coming, and hopefully I can add something within the next few weeks.

M

Mark Johnson

Here's how I know

The rudder angle indicator on the Autopilots tells me so. MPJ

M

Mark Johnson

460 Dodger

I had a dodger made for my 460. It looks pretty good. It has removeable side panels and a full grab rail on the back. I have taken photos of the boat and sent them to Phil to post on this site. Will be going on vacation 7/24 and will take more photos while cruising. Our boat came with the full batten main, but I am changing it to the furling main at the end of the season. The full batten main is FAR too much sail to deal with at this time in my life! That is part of the deal I made with the dealer. A/C and generator both seem to be working now. MPJ

D

Dave Young

3 changes for the 460

1. I am having Hunter provide a new lower step into the cabin. The step did not provide very good support and broke off. You might look at replacing this weak point before someone gets injured. 2. I have an inner forestay and anm triying to get a new retaining clip. The retaining clip has failed on my 460 and on a neighbor's 450. It is too light to take the strain on the forestay between the deck and mast, and bends out of shape easily. 3. There is a Spinlock rope clutch mounted on the side of my furling mast used as a secondary clutch for a halyard. This catches the jib sheet sometimes when tacking to starboard. I removed the halyard from this extra clutch and will remove the clutch from the mast to prevent the sheet from tangling. It's still an awesome boat...

B

Brad Cavedo

Whether helm issue

First, make sure the autopilot indicator is correctly positioned on the rudder. This was a problem after installation on our P42. It took some fiddling but we got it zeroed out correctly. Now, on the P42 we have whether helm close hauled. It is a fact of life. the more wind the more whether helm. sometimes it is 10 degrees of rudder and there is a big turbulence behind the boat from the rudder. this is with about 15 to 20 degrees of heel. I will tell you that we go faster with the whether helm that without it. flatten the sail and keep a little luffing in the luff. But we have found that if you let the main out to reduce the whether helm down to 5 % or less, the boat goes much slower. So the drive you get from the main is significant and it is worth the whether helm. With a little more wind we reef the main, which reduces heel but ususally not whether helm, at least not much. the bottom line: dont worry, be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.