460 Commissioning Cont

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Johnson

Well we picked her up on Friday July 2nd. Most of the punch list items were done. It was hot so I fired up the A/C. It didn't work!!!, It had been checked out by the "experts" and given a clean bill of health. It was 100 here in the northeast this weekend and no A/C. I figured I would try out the Generator. It too did not work!! It also had been checked out by the "experts" They replace a small 3 amp fuse ran it for 4 hours and no problems. It keeps blowing this small little overload fuse. There is also a leak in the vac u flush head. The refrigeration works great, but it is a battery KILLER. You will need lots of batttery power to keep it going for any length of time. The dodger came out great. I will sent some pictures to Phil to post. MPJ

R

R. Palaia

worst weekend for no A/C

Mark, Congratulations on your new boat. I'm also in the northeast (NJ) and what a scorcher it was this July 4 weekend!, 100+ & lots of humidity. But the wind was good, so we did some sailing and it was much cooler on the water. Will you be showing her off at the Hunter Rendezvous at Libery Landing, NJ?? If so, see you there. Regards, Roc s/v Sea Life (h33.5)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
If memory serves me...

I think we had a thread in the past year on that fuse blowing on the genset. Is it a Koehler? Does anyone else remember that? What was the problem with the AC? Also electrical?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Battery Killing

Mark: What type of refer unit are they installing on these new Hunters? Of course you know if everything is warm when you put it in the box and the weather is 100+ it is not going to cool off too quick either. Maybe someone at the dealer can check out if there is any insulation around the box. They do forget to do some of these things when they are building them (don't you know). Hope you have many years of sailing your new Hunter. It CAN be a wonderful experience.

M

Mark Johnson

They use..

Grunert. It's a 115V system and runs off the Heart 2000 inverter when away from the dock. It works great but a big draw on the batteries when the compressor kicks on. You are right 100 degrees doesn't help matters, but I think if I run the generator for an hour in the morning and an hour at night I should be alright. (I hope?) MPJ

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Grunert makes it hert.

Mark: I would assume that you are probably taking an extra hit on the battery with the Heart unit converting to AC. I believe that a DC compressor would be quite a bit more economical with the power. I guess if that is what you have have to work with what can you do. I would definetly have the dealer check the insulation though. Thanks for the feed back. PS: We have a Technautics Marine unit and like it.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
holding plates?

Mark - Does the refer use a holding plate? If so, under -normal - weather conditions (remember those?), it should hold the cold in for at least half a day so you don't have to run it very much.

B

Brad Cavedo

Run the Genset

We have a Hunter P 42 with DC refrig and a separate freezer and we have to run the genset for an hour in morning and hour in evening. No big deal, once you get used to it. You run it for hot water and AC at dinner time anyway. We also plan ahead and try to run it if we have to motor so that the noise will overlap. Refrig, whether AC or DC, draws o lot of current.

M

Mark Johnson

Yup! Holding plates

They stay pretty cold. The freezer is at 20 degrees (I hope that's cold enough for Ben & Jerry's) I think the refer is about 40. This past weekend (100 degrees) it seemed to run about 3 or 4 minutes every hour or so, or until the batteries were DEAD. I will play around with the settings and get it fine tuned, when I can spend more time aboard. The boat is still in the shop getting the A/C and generator fixed. Nobody seems to know what the problem is so far. I'm told that this problem with the A/C has been ongoing since the factory. (that's not good!) I will keep you posted with the results, and email some photo's to you Phil. MPJ

J

Justin Wolfe

3-4 minutes doesn't sound like much.

How many amps is your refrigerator drawing. Even it drew 20 amps (which sounds like a lot to me) that would only be 1.3 amps/hour for 4 minutes of service. That is only 32 amphours a day. A group 24 could handle that! Maybe I'm way off on the draw. If not the refrig is not a significant killer of your batteries. What is your battery capacity? 600 amp-hours or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.