430 head

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 430 Shelter bay, Panama
does anyone know if the jabsco manual toilets installed in these vessels is the compact or standard size?

Jun 2, 2004
thank you, I read the specifications on each before posting. I am 1000 miles away from Liberty and would like to make the purchase before I return in a couple weeks. Do you have any insights on what is actually installed on these vessels?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
thank you, I read the specifications on each before posting. I am 1000 miles away from Liberty and would like to make the purchase before I return in a couple weeks. Do you have any insights on what is actually installed on these vessels?
I can tell you the 40.5 has compacts in both heads, and a friend's Passage 42 of the same era did also. 43?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
As long as you're replacing the toilet, you might want to consider upgrading to the top rated manual toilet--the Raritan PH SuperFlush. Defender PH SuperFlush Toilet Fits in the same space as the Jabsco...even the mounting bolt pattern match available with either the compact bowl or the larger household bowl. Plus, it's made in the US...Jabsco toilets are now made in Mexico with parts and components sourced from China and similar sources.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It would have made for a nearly identical alternative. There's about a 2" difference in their location
The SuperFlush uses the PHII pump, which isn't a new design...Raritan introduced the PHII in the early '80s, and it's been the top rated manual toilet pump ever since/. It's the INLET fitting on the pump that's on the front of the PHII pump, where it's always been...the solution is simple: replace the 3/4" inlet hose with a slightly longer one. The discharge fitting goes out the back of both the Jabsco and the PH pump, so it presents no problem when swapping out a Jabsco with the PH SuperFlush unless you try to use a straight discharge fitting where a 90 is needed or vice versa.

Aug 15, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Legend 003 San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
Oh Geez, now I need to change my head. Much nicer than the Jabsco.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Nor only nicer, but a LOT more durable. Keep it well lubricated, rebuild kit every 5-6 years, and it'll easily give you 20+ years of reliable trouble-free service.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'm installing one this week. It's going to be a lot nicer than the old Jabsco. We wanted a desiccator, but just didn't have the space.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The discharge fitting goes out the back of both the Jabsco and the PH pump, so it presents no problem when swapping out a Jabsco with the PH SuperFlush unless you try to use a straight discharge fitting where a 90 is needed or vice versa.
That's not entirely accurate. With the 90 degree discharge fitting, the Raritan Superflush discharge outlet is 2 inches further away from the pump than the Jabsco also using a 90 degree discharge fitting. If you plan on still using a 90 degree fitting facing down, you can run into problems because you may not have enough clearance between the underside of the raised platform that your head it mounted on and the hull beneath it. Many toilets are installed with the back of the toilet facing outboard. The curvature of the hull will begin to reduce the clearance between the underside of the raised platform and the hull thereby making it difficult or impossible to install the rubber outlet hose under the platform. It may not be a simple swap out if your boat is constructed this way. I wanted to swap out my Jabsco toilet with the Raritan Superflush but ran into this problem. You might have to run the outlet hose in a different direction and deal with covering the large hole where the original Jabsco outlet hose use to go through the platform.

It's too bad that Raritan doesn't make a 90 degree discharge fitting that will make the discharge location of the Jabsco and Raritan identical. Maybe Peggy can ask Raritan to come up with a new fitting to solve this problem. I'll be the first one to buy it.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
So the problem isn't the location of the discharge fitting on the pump, it's the size of the 90 degree discharge fitting. So I just gave Raritan a call to see whether the Jabsco fitting will fit the PH II...they don't know whether it will or not. So assuming that your Jabsco has a 1.5" discharge (For years Jabsco was the only manual toilet to use a 1"...they finally began offering a 1.5", but a lot of 'em are still 1".), you have nothing to lose by trying it, so I suggest you be the first to find out and report back.
If it won't, the solution MIGHT be to move the toilet forward just far enough to provide enough clearance for the larger Raritan fitting. If THAT won't work, we'll just have to figure out something that will.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
IMPORTANT: The 90 degree discharge fitting on the back of the Superflush rotates 360 degrees, if that helps. I definitely helped me. Loosen the two bolts slightly, rotate the elbow to wherever you want it, and tighten the bolts. You don't need to take the bolts all the way out, just loosen them so the flange has some room. This was not a huge deal for me, but it has helped some. Note that my situation was different from Ted's, because my discharge hose did not come UP from under the previous toilet, through the floor. Instead, it runs behind the toilet after coming through a bulkhead. I rotated the fitting just because it made it a little easier to deal with the process of attaching the hose.

On a similar note, the 90-degree elbow at the back of the bowl could be a much more significant problem up against the hull. This is the fitting that receives flush water FROM the pump going INTO the bowl. On my new toilet, that elbow faces to the right (looking from the front of the bowl). Fortunately, that will work ok, but only because I have enough hose. I would not want to try and re-position the elbow, for fear of over- or under-tightening it. I called Raritan, and they said if it was a problem to go to a hardware store and buy a straight fitting, female NPT(3/4?) to 3/4" hose barb. However, such a fitting may stick out the back of the toilet even further than the current elbow, and then you have to add the room taken up by the "approach" of the hose.

It's not just a straight swap, for sure. The main reason I bought this specific model was to match up with the existing holes for the old Jabsco, and that has ended up being a complete non-factor. The new head will sit on a 2 1/8" riser that I built to sit on top of the "old" floor. I needed that much elevation gain (relative to the curve of the hull liner) for that back-of-the-bowl fitting not to bump the liner.

UPDATE to the middle paragraph: I decided that the elbow fitting at the back of the bowl needed to face strait up to eliminate a hard 180 degree turn for the hose. So I called Raritan again. After I expressed my concern about leaks, and the inability to get to the head of the threaded "bolt" to which the elbow affixes, they told me not to mess with anything but the elbow. Just spin it off, load the male threads up with Teflon tape, and spin the elbow back on. With the correct amount of tape, the fitting tightens perfectly at the right spot.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
thanks on the size. mine are 20 years old, rebuilt this one once but just want to replace at this point. i have been happy with its lifespan