3QM30F

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Parts should still be readily available for that engine from Yanmar distributers.

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Part availability is very low on a world-wide search. Some water-pump parts need to be taken to a machine shop to have them rebuilt and made from stock. no manifolds anywhere even for freshwater models. kanzaki 18 transmission parts unavailable as well. Yanmar, would like to believe this engine is obsolete. Do you have one of these engines?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
I have a 1979 2QM15 which is similar. I have completely rebuilt this engine and I only recall one part that was unavailable and that was the internal oil pump. I have never tried to purchase any large castings such as a head casting and I cannot speak to that. I have frequently replaced the exhaust elbow casting which is readily available. What are you looking for?

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
I have heard that the exhaust manifolds fail at the seawater injection point so I'm just looking to stock the part.
Right now I am looking for a seawater pump but I am trying to not pay $1,200, Canadian. I am also interested in rebuilding the kanzaki 18 gear but I haven't found sources yet for selector fork and cones. There is an engine oil pump on eBay. What did yours go through before it failed? Could it have been rebuilt?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
My engine oil pump did not fail and is still pumping away. At the time I was rebuilding the engine I thought that I might as well replace it but the pump was not available. Transmission should be reliable, unless it was abused. When I rebuilt my engine I only replaced the thirty year old shaft seals on the transmission. Is the seawater pump a Yanmar part or is it a Jabsco part?

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
I believe it is a johnson pump proprietary to Yanmar so not manufactured anymore. I believe several are available whole but not once out of stock, hence the pricing. I would like to find one used so I can rebuild as a spare. The one that came with the boat is leaking at the seals and could be worn on the shaft. It can be rebuilt in a machine shop but it would be cheaper to sleave the wear spot with an skf sleave. I believe having a rebuildable spare would make me sleep better. I know that several items are the same on your engine so I appreciate your taking the time to explain the issues and solutions for these engines. How many hours were on your gear when you replaced your seals and is it the same kanzaki 18 gear? So you know, I do not know how many hours are on this engine but it appears to be in good condition except for the leaking pump.
Thank you for your time.
BobV

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
The transmission in mine is a Kenzaki KBW10 model. I bought the boat used and there was no hour meter on it, so I have no idea how many hours were on the engine and transmission. Given that the engine is an auxiliary on a sailboat, its use should be pretty limited. These engines are also used in tractors where I would expect that the service is much more demanding and the annual operating hours are much greater. In the service manual the transmission appears to be a daunting assembly to tear down and rebuild. My thoughts at the time were replace the external shaft seals while the transmission is off the boat and leave the rest alone. Even the simple seal replacement task required some special tooling which I borrowed from my parts supplier. My water pump is different from yours. Good luck.