37.5 vs 376

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John J Frank

I have begun my search for our next boat, and have narrowed it down to two boats; the 37.5 and the 376. My questions concern the differences in the cockpits of these two vessels. I like to single-hand as well as sail with my wife and was wondering if the cabin top mounting of the sheet winches on the 376 are as much a concern as I am thinking? The 376 seems to have more cockpit space than the 375, which I like, but the ability to mount the sheet winches aft on the 375 is also a plus for short hand sailing. Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

D

Don

LEAVING THE WHEEL

In storm conditions, leaving the wheel isn't an ideal situation regardless of whether or not you have an autopilot in bad weather. Anything which makes single handing easier gets my vote and access to the controls is top on the list.

D

Doug Merrill

Singlehanding

We have a 376 and I singlehand frequently. You do have to leave the wheel to tack, but with the autotack feature of the autopilot this is no chore at all. And even then you are not far from the wheel anyway. Doug Merrill s/v Dream Catcher

D

Don

I have a 37.5

and singlehand it regularly. It's really pretty easy once you get everything set up. As for the cockpits, that is something I do not particularly like about my boat. It's tight and if you have 4 or more people on board it gets cramped. Biggest problem IMHO with the boat is the propwalk in reverse, something that has been addresses here at HOW ad infinitum. Just something u learn to handle. On the otherhand, I like the interior of my boat (1993 37.5) Seems a lot roomier to me below and I prefer all the wood. Be sure to sail both as I understand there is a big difference between the two. Mine is fast with a good breeze. Can't speak for the 376. Probably will come down to $$$ and looks. Most of the 376's had the fiberglass arch I think. Let me know if you have any questions.

R

Russell Egge

We have a 376

First off none of the 376's have the arch, thats the 380. As far as having the jib winches up front, you can still tack, but it isn't all that easy without autopilotunless you move the jib lines to the spinaker winches. People have done it, we will try this year. Love the 376. My uncle lived on the north channel on the water when I was a kid. A place called the coloney. My first eperience on the water. He had this great Chris Craft, all wood. What a boat. Oh well back to replacing my plumbing. RRegge

B

bob

37.5 is hunters best

I had a 37.5 and felt it was the best performing boat hunter ever made. 35.5 is hot but the 37.5 walks on it. If you have an interest in ever club racing there is no choice between the two. I own a 40.5 and have spent thousands on go fast and the 37.5 still smokes us.

J

Jack Lightstone

Added two winches on my 37.5

Greetings, I have a 37.5 (1991). Great boat. Fast. lots of living room below. As to size of cockpit. I would NOT want a wider cockpit. At 18+ degrees, you have to start thinking about how your passengers are going to brace themselves comfortably, if they are not 6 ft + in height. As to organizing the boat for shorthandling or singlehandling--It not bad as is, but I made my better. There are two unused winch pads by the helm, about 2 1/2 ft aft of the factory installed sheet winches. I installed two more winches on these pads, choosing the most powerful winches that would properly fit on the diameter of the pads. This turned out to be an Australian winch (a number 44, if I remmeber correctly) made by Arco, and available through the Australian Winch Company. (I believe that Arco stepped into the vacuum left by Barient, when Barient went belly up. In fact, Arco sells spare parts for Barient winches.) The two new winches make life much easier at the helm. Now if I could just figure out how to rig the main sheet back to the helm from its place on the cabin top, then I would be really set. Jack

B

Bob F

The 376, new winches?

I have a 376 ('98) and often single hand. Having the winches on the cabin top is kinda a pain sometimes, not only while single handling, but if there's some company on board it can get busy in the cockpit if the jib sheets need tending. Has anyone installed winches back on the combing towards the rear of the cockpit? It would make using the spinnaker alot easier too.

Status
Not open for further replies.