36e Spinnaker Halyard install - Leader line is coming out of the mast foot?

Apr 2, 2014
Hunter 36e Staten Island
Finally broke down and bought the hardware for the new asy spinnaker. Now I have the halyard in hand and I'm trying to figure out how to install it without going up the mast. There is a leader line that is coming out of the spinnaker halyard slot on the mast and tied off on the cleat on the opposite side. The other end of the line is tied off from under the base of the mast. I've read a couple of posts and looked up a few videos on youtube, but I'm still in the dark as to how to rig the feed into the mast.

I'm sure that there are a few of you folks that have handled this situation with aplomb.

Thanks,

Dan

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
I have a Selden mast. The spinnaker halyard goes into the mast at the side slot, comes out at a block on the front of the mast just above the jib halyard and comes down through a bail and then to the spinnaker head. If you have a spliced loop on your spinnaker halyard it will have to be pulled in from the front of the mast down through the slot at the side. I had to add a block at the base of the mast and a line lock clutch on the cabin top. Sew the leader line to the halyard and it will pull in pretty easy.

If the leader line is not coming out of the spinnaker access slot at the side of the mast you may have to get a wire with a hook and try and grab it so that it comes out the slot. release the leader at the base and pull it back up through.

Hope I understood the situation correctly.

Good luck

Apr 2, 2014
Hunter 36e Staten Island
Jake,

Thanks for the quick reply. Got the halyard with the splice and a snapshackle before I realized the leader line is coming out the side and under the mast foot. I've got some 'thinkin' to do.

All the best,

Dan

TommmD

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Legend 355 Portsmouth, RI
Before you go much further, check the blocks on the deck organizer to ensure your halyard will pass thru. My 35.5 specs say 7/16 but that not working right now. I put the halyard in while I had the stick out a year ago, but did not rig it until this year when the sail arrived. Now its looking like I need to thread a lighter halyard thru.

I would suggest running a light leader line up the mat & pulling it all the way thru & then reversing that with the halyard.

Apr 2, 2014
Hunter 36e Staten Island
Tom,

I went with high quality 3/8" with the shackle pre-installed. There were a few specs that indicated 7/16 and others went with 3/8. I went with the ultimate strength working load limit which was acceptable in the 3/8. I was hoping to avoid having to step the mast. There is a leader lines installed in the spinnaker slot running up, but the other end comes out under the mast foot below the blocks. I'm wondering if there is a trick to this that I'm not getting...

All the best,

Dan

TommmD

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Legend 355 Portsmouth, RI
You have to run it from the ssil end, however you have to make that work. I wish I had seen there was a conflict. I now have a spare too short ( for anything else) halyard!! Of course this was not one of the cheapies where I reused the shackle..

bgary

Sep 17, 2015
1985 Ericson 32-III Everett
Let's start with figuring out your messenger line ("leader line")
You say it goes into the mast at the spinnaker halyard slot, and then comes out at the foot of the mast.
-- are you sure it is the same line?
-- is it stuck under the mast at the mast step, or can you move it?
-- can you tell if it goes up to the top of the mast along its way?
It is... unusual... for a tagline to go up inside the mast, go over a masthead sheave and then come back down inside the mast. If that is what yours is doing, it may take a little work to make it usable for pulling a halyard through (but the good news is, once you have a usable messenger, pulling the halyard is easy!)

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
So how did this end?! I’m having exactly the same issue with my 2009 H36. Same messenger, same spots and can’t figure it out. It seems stuck.