36 to 41' Hunters.....what would be your choice and why?

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
As you can see from the long list of enthusiasts, Hunter has made some great boats......

What I like is that many of the responders have owed their boats many, many years. I hope that you are able to buy a boat that you will enjoy for many many years too.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
We've had our 05 H33 for 9 yrs. and have loved it. It was our first boat so didn't want to go too big for handling. Within a year we realized shoulda gone bigger.

Recently have been looking at the '05 and newer H 38 and H 41. Interior cabin wise, mostly what you're getting in the 41 is the second head ( 38 only has 1 ) and a pullman berth in the bow. The other feature I really like in the 41 is the couch style seating starboard side, as we intend to do a lot of cruising on retirement. Size-wise, the 41 will cost more for dockage etc. etc. We've been leaning more to the 38 as the convenience of the second head for guests is not enough to justify the extra cost of the boat and expenses.

Hunter 38
Hunter 38 06.jpg

Hunter 41
2106800_3.jpg

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
The 41 & 36 are both fantastic boat for sure and depending how you will use it will make it easy to decide
which is the boat for you.
Back in 2006 we were planning to retire in a few years and live full time in Fl. and so wanted to sell my 2001 290 and go bigger and was looking at the 33 because did not want to spend the extra $$$$ for the 36 and sure at the time looked at the 38 too but went to the boat show planning on buying the 33 and at the show my wife jumped in and said to me and the salesman
No No you are not buying that 33 and as the salesman started walking away she said if we buy a new boat it will be the 36 the boat you always really wanted.
We love our boat and I am so happy and we ordered the H-36 with all the options we wanted,yes when cruising with friends I can't always follow them because my 5' draft and my 58 mast but for the most part I can go most places with our friends and many also have 41 and 42 Hunters and others with 40 + boats and so we are very happy with our choice.
Look up a 41 Hunter for sale in Punta Gorda and it is the boat I once fell in love with and super nice boat.
Nick

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
We have an 05 38. It is a very comfortable boat. The daughters and grand kids come to visit and there is plenty of room.
The admiral is able to bring along her quilting and putz with that while we are sailing on light days. It moves in really light air, and then picks it up a notch with winds over 15.
We moved up from a 29.5 which we really like also but this is a much better condo on the lake.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Just went thru this decision process this past year.

Started with what seemed to be the min need for me which was a H356. Found one, had problems, but was a good fit. Walked. Started looking at H380s, because the prices were very good, Also looked at H410s which were really great but the cost was much more. It is the better boat.

Bought a 2000 H380( 5' draft) with 500 hours for $61K in very good shape and will have put 30K of upgrades into it. I preferred it over the H356 or H36 because of the walk way space in the Aft stateroom. And while it does not have 2 heads, the fore cabin does have a sink. The slight down side is it has a 61 ft. mast About the same as the H410. It also has small cockpit storage areas. I wish it had a gen set, but went with 360watt solar panels and 2nd House Bat. bank. Maybe will add later with a bow thruster, but the Genets will take up more of the limited storage. Also my dock in my backyard accommodates well up to 40 ft.
Other wise if not for price I would have gone with a 41'., but then the bow thruster does become a more immediate need. The 410 is Offshore certified while the H380/H356/H36/38 are coastal. I upgraded my hatches to Low profile from Coastal, now offshore certifiable. My upgrades besides all new electronics, radar, stereos , TVs, AIS, MFDs, added Davits , new RIB with 9.9 Yamaha. If a boat is over 10 years, even if the owner made upgrades, they are likely in their last years and maybe not worth having when you buy a boat and not worth paying for in the price.

By the way another sailboat in the boat yard feel over on my Hunter and the hull strength was impressive.. Now I have all new running and standing rigging, sides, graphics and etc.. largely a new boat.

Regards,

Regards

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
A big advantage of a 41' Hunter over a 38' Hunter is ...................... tankage! Right now my fuel and water tanks are about half full, which is the same as full on most 38' boats.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Tankage is a double edged sword: Sure you have to fill them less but fuel, water and waste sit longer which is the cause of problems. I think you want flow through the tanks. Use and fill - or use and empty for the waste. My 356 had 75 gallons water. I regularly ran water out to lighten the boat for a race, or encouraged my wife to take long showers. The fuel was 38 gallons which was good for 200 miles of coastal cruising. I have a policy to always leave for a cruise let with a full tank when possible. I forget the waste tank but I doubt we let it get 1/2 full very often. If there were pomp outs available we pumped out.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Tankage is a double edged sword: Sure you have to fill them less but fuel, water and waste sit longer which is the cause of problems.
Not a problem when you are full time cruising. Those tanks never sit around long enough to have a problem.