350 Review - March Sailing Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim

March issue of Sailing Magazine contains a review of the new Catalina 350 (see link below). They test sailed it last August (oh, to be sailing in August right now) and - as I figure most magazine reviews do - looked upon it very favorably. I've just taken delivery of mine (April IV hull #68) and am busy getting familiar with all her systems - significantly more to her than my Catalina 27. Looking forward to better weather in the weeks and months ahead!

B

Blair Dehuff

Catalina 350 Review

Thanks for posting the review article. I'm expecting delivery of hull #116 in about 3 weeks. Since you took delivery of hull #68 only recently, Catalina must really be geared up to produce lots of 350's. Could be a best seller. How did your boat's commissioning go? Any problems? I'd like to hear any comments you might want to offer as your familiarization progresses, especially any problem areas. Thanks

C

C-Mike

Hull 86

Took delivery in Feb. Hull 86. All systems check out except the coax cable in the TV box. Can anyone tell me what this cable is for? It looks like it runs to the compression post. However, no such hookup at the terminal strip. So far I like everything electrical and mechanical except the half ass terminal strip. I'm changing this out with a NEMA 4x junction box. To date we have no sails and can't get an answer when.....Maybe I'm the only one..... C-Mike

M

Mark Koehler

TV Coax Cable

Unless you have ordered a TV antenna to be mounted on the mast you will not have anything to connect too. On my 350 (hull#19) we had the factory/dealer install a mast head Antenna. The cable for this comes down the compression post and you have easy access to it under the sink in the head. What you will find is that you have a factory installed coax cable that leads aft from the entertainment center and is available for dock side cable connections. You can find the end of that cable on the aft port side. If you look up under the aft storage area behind the main 120v circuit breaker you will see the coax cable tied up out of the way. (see the attached photo.)

T

Tim

Hull # 68

Hull # 68 was displayed at the Seattle/Lake Union boat show in late January. She had been delivered to the area presumably late december or early January. As part of the Boat Show "special" Catalina sprung for the autopilot (autohelm 5000+), the canvas package (should have been included in the base price, IMO) and a dodger. I paid additional to have a diesel forced air heater installed, as well as a GPS/Chartplotter. We've been out sailing just a couple of times since the boat show - once on a trial sail, and once on our own. I've also run motored the boat approx. 30 miles from the dealers location to her berth. In the mean time, it's been pouring rain and obnoxious winds since we got her. Obviously, the boat does have her sails. It did appear that they weren't shipped with the boat, and had been backordered, but they're aboard now. I opted for the 135 roller furling and the standard full batten mail with Dutchman system. She has the fin keel. The dealer has a few "punchlist" items to work out still - some dinged up gelcoat on the pedestal, and the door to the forward berth needs to have a little sanding/adjusting to close properly. Their plan is/was to accomplish this work today, but we'll see. As was noted below, the coax cable in the TV cabinet is routed to the port stern compartment. Seems like it would have been a good idea to factory route a piece in the mast as TV antenna is a factory option, and it will be a pain to retrofit a cable at this point (IMO). The forward bunk is very comfortable! We've stayed aboard a couple of nights so far and are looking forward to the weather improving soon. This entire boat is a huge change from my Catalina 27 - and I believe that Catalina has done a lot of things right. We carefully measured the space available for a microwave, and were lucky enough to find an appropriate one at a garage sale - $10 !! I'm in the process of installing a stereo/CD system, with speakers in the cabin and in the cockpit - the factory conviently installs the wiring. In fact, I found the same speakers that Catalina installs stock under the sternrail seats - for a substantial savings! They are "Navpod-SP100" enclosures which include Polyplanar waterproof speakers. Got them online from a place called "brokenlegdaves". Also got a Clarion AM/FM/CD unit with waterproof wired remote for a pretty good price at Boatersworld.com. The toughest part of the installation will be mounting that remote (2 1/8 round hole) in the pedestal and routing the DIN plug/cable back to the radio. Looking forward to putting some miles under the keel as soon as it stops raining a bit here!

J

J Collins

We're considering purchasing new 350

Hi, we just saw a brand new 350 for sale locally. We are seriously considering buying it. We're wondering if there are any new owners out there - and whether they like the boat. Does it sail well? Any problems? Thanks, J. Collins

S

Steve Wark

Hull #85

I have #85... No sails either... No rigging at all, it seems... Not a big deal yet, as launch won't be until May at the earliest... When I bought my 310 two years ago, it also came through without sails... I suspect the demand has stretched their suppliers a bit... Steve Wark

C

C-Mike

Motoring in NY

C-Mike -86 I do have all the rigging but no sails. I ordered the boat with a 150% to compensate for the loss of power from the furled main. I figured that the special order has postponed the shipment. Isn’t it wonderful that we are all so trusting? Catalina can after the sale come back and charge you more due to manufacturing costs, ask for full payment at shipping and ship a unfinished product. I would live to do this in my business. What a wonderful cash float! Good luck on your rigging and sails.

M

Mark Koehler

Do I like My 350

We got our boat (hull #19) in August last year and we just love it. As with any new toy there were a few items that needed to be worked out. But we did get all of our rigging and sails when the boat arrived. The problems we had, have been with the factory installed electronics. It took several months to get it all straighten out. I looked at a recently commissioned 350 and they have started to change where components are mounted so these issues may have been worked out, must notably the flux gate compass needs to be moved away from the power leads that run to the electric winch. The back EMF when you start up the winch to trim sails turns the compass 90 degrees which can give you a start if you are on autopilot and are trying to set sails. Our sailing experience so far has been restricted to the San Francisco bay area. But this means that we have had days of light wind, 10 knots, to days of a strong wind, 28+ Knots. Must times all in the same day. In all conditions this boat sails beautifully. We have in mast furling so as the breeze picks up we can quickly adjust and keep the boat trimmed to optimal sailing conditions. With everything lead back no one has to go forward to help set of trim sails. The large cockpit has allowed us to sail with 6 people and still leave plenty of room to move around. My wife and I regularly sail the boat by ourselves and although I have not done it I am sure that I could handle the boat by myself with no difficulty. The wife and I have done some over nights and the boat it a joy to sit back and relax on after a days sail. Last year at the C34 organized annual All Catalina Rendezvous at Angel Island we had at times 8 to 10 people in the cockpit with plenty of room. So the boat has plenty of room to entertain on. Mark Koehler Our sailing experience so far has been restricted to the San Francisco bay area. But this means that we have had days of light wind, 10 knots, to days of a strong wind ,28+ Knots. In al condictions this boat sails bueatifaly

T

Tom S.

Steve and C-Mike, I belive all the sails are made

by Catalina in thier California plant. I believe the C350 is made in Florida, so maybe the coordination of shipping the 2 needs to be done.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Catalina Sails

When our boat was made one had the option of going without Catlina sails and buying sails from local sailmakers. I don't know if Catalina still sells sails as "options." Seems like they are if they don't at least come with the boat :). So, do those of you who are buying new boats ever have the option? Our boat came with Leading Edge sails. Back in 1986 Catalina was having big troubles with their sail loft, which has since 1988 been much improved, but perhaps not as good as locally made sails.

A

Andy

Catalina 350 Owners Association

It is just so good to see of of you new 350 owners on here! This time last year I was having on-line debates with 36 MK II owners and others who had gripes about the 350, some of whom hadn't seen one in person much less sailed one! We bought our boat in January of 2002 just about the day it was introduced and ended up with hull #3. Catalina has been on back order with the sails and canvas all along .. don't know why but that is the way it is. No worry .. you will most likely have all your sails and such when your dealer is ready to launch the boat. I have the "classic" main rig with dutchman, the 135 genoa and wing keel. It sails just great on all points of sail. I have had everything flying in 18-25 knot winds a few times and had a very good fun sail. RE: Owners association.. Please e-mail me with your hull number,boat name, home port and contact information. The e-mail is akimbel@p3.net We are gathering names...getting the owners groups together, establishing by-laws recruiting officers and all that good stuff. I registered www.catalina350.com and will have it operational soon. I look forward to receiving your e-mails. Andy

G

Gary

Upcoming delivery of #125 in SF

Blair... did you buy your 350 from Farallone? If you did, we will be taking delivery of the next one after your's. Looks like it will be #125. Gary

B

Blair Dehuff

Delivery of Hull#116

Gary, Yes, we ordered ours from Farallone Yachts through Sailing Ventures at Lake Tahoe. Patty and Michal have been excellent to deal with, as they are always right on top of things. Delivery is scheduled for April 15th at South Lake Tahoe. Figure a week to 10 days for commissioning, we should be sailing by May 1st. What's your delivery date of #125 in SF? Blair

B

Bill

Delivery of #108

Hull #108 is suppose to show up at the marina today 4-1-03. Iam sure the will take most of April to prep it as the marina will be focusing on dropping stored boats in April. So will most likely launch early May. I am not a patient person, this is killing me.

G

Gary

Delivery of #125 in SF

Dinah thinks the 4th week in April. Will #116 have the new nav station configuration (no TV cabinet)? Gary

G

Gary

Delivery of #108

I'm curious. Let us know if #108 has the modified nav station area & any other changes. Gary C350 Duet #125

B

Bill

Nav Station

Yes #108 has the new Station dedign, no cabinet. Guess you have to go to a flat screen if you want a TV, more $$$. It does seem to open the nav area up (silver lining. Just did the paper work on the boat last night, was told 6 weeks to commission,uhg

G

Gary

nav station

It's $2800 for a 15" Sharp flat screen TV and DVD. They are hanging it on the wall between the head and the table. Do you know if they made the nav table larger or did they just remove the TV cabinet? Gary C350 Duet #125

B

Bill

NAV STATION

Same size, just took the cabinet out. $2800, that should make a nice target for a lighting strike. Don't think thats going to happen. This could pose a problem, guess I'll have to get a small one and keep it stored, and pull it out when ever. Seems a little rued to just yank a chunk of the inside out telling anyone and without a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.