322 converting holding tank to extra fuel tank

Jul 15, 2014
Oday 322 Freeport, Bahamas
I'm sure fuel isn't an issue for lake or coastal boats but in the Islands I could really use that extra 16-gallons. I have two 6 gallon fuel jugs strapped in the lazaret and refuse to carry anything along the lifeline stanchions. I want to keep weight as low in the hull as possible.
I would add a 6-gal holding tank in the lazaret.
Of course, I'd remove and pressure wash the holding tank. I would use a pump to move fuel into the main tank. I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

NOTE: There are three 322's over here now. A new owner from Indiana just bought a 322 on the Gulf Coast and is in the Bahamas. Another 322 is in the Virgin Islands.
Enjoy a Healthy 2018,
Gary - Freeport, Bahamas

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If the tank is plastic (polyethylene), it cannot be used for fuel holding. There are two kinds of polyethylene...Water and waste tanks are made of LINEAR low density PE...petroleum will permeate it...the tank will "sweat" fuel. Which is why plastic fuel tanks have to be made using CROSS LINKED high density PE...and also have to meet USCG standards for fittings locations--must be on the top of the tank and several other things (no horizontal surface that allows liquid to pool on it is one thing).

You'd have an easier time converting a metal tank, but you still need to find out what you need to do to make it legal. Might be simpler to just buy another fuel tank.

Jul 15, 2014
Ms. Hall,
This is why I love this forum. Thanks for your input. You, more than anyone, understands holding tanks. My main diesel tank appears to be made from the the same material. Hopefully, O'Day sourced both tanks from the same supplier and made from the same material.
I'll check when I pull the holding tank out.
Much Appreciated,
Gary - Bahamas

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
To avoid any possible confusion, it's extra diesel tankage I need. Not gasoline.
Doesn't matter, diesel and gas are both petroleum.
However, some holding tanks in the late '70s and early '80s were made of cross linked poly...Wilcox-Crittenden was one....so it's possible that your holding tank and fuel tank are both cross-linked PE. However there are still those pesky USCG regs regarding fittings locations etc. Sooner or later you'll have to pass a CG inspection or an insurance survey. And then there are those over-the-top costs to clean up even a 1/2 cup fuel spill...and your insurance company may not cover it if a fuel tank doesn't conform to the regs.

Just sayin....

Aug 24, 2011
MacGregor Mac 26X Central Arkansas
Peggie Hall:

I've seen your posts on so many different websites over the years and, if I could nominate one person as "most valuable contributor to boating websites," clearly it would be you. As a Little Rock refugee myself (now Perry County so I didn't go far) I feel pride to be an Arkansan every time your name appears. Thanks for all that I've learned from you.

Al Garrett

Jul 15, 2014
Dear Ms. Hall,
The wonder of a forum is the input that is often provided by a real pro like you.
I did remove the holding tank (just put in storage for the next owner) and used all that new found space to store my 75 pound Luke Fisherman anchor that I really needed to get out of the bow area. I now have all my engine spares and tools in one reasonably easy to access space.
Thank You!!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Always glad to help when I can!

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein