23.5 Mainsheet bolt attachment

Jul 16, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Cascade
So my mainsheet bolt where the mainsheet attaches in the cockpit appears to be stripping somehow. I had her out yesterday in some heavier air and it started to pull up. I was able to wrench the bolt down a bit but it doesn't look right. I went down below, under the cockpit and opened up the little access port to see the underside mounting of that u-bolt and it looks fine. I had a friend turn on the bolts from above and nothing appears to be loose on the bottom.. though can't be sure since I'll have to buy about four more socket extensions to get up that narrow access hole they give you.

I found this link: https://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=23.5&c=6&p=52340
But it doesn't refer specifically to the mainsheet bolt, these appear to be for the standing rigging rather.
Any thoughts on where to buy the replacement mainsheet attachment? I'm taking her on a 5 day cruise in some bigger water next week and want to be ready.

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
I'm pretty sure that all of the u-bolts on the 23.5, chainplates, bow eye, mainsheet attachment, are the same 3/8" bolt. You might want to recheck from inside while someone tensions and releases the sheet watching for movement of the bolt or flexing of the underside of the deck. There's not much to go wrong with this, either the threads are stripped on the bolt, a leg of the bolt is broken, or the deck is collapsing under the stress. If you can tighten down on the nuts without noticing any sinking of the deck or pulling up from under, go ahead snug them up good and tight.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Post a photo so I can be sure what I am looking at. In addition go inside and see if there is a removable panel or washer/nuts underneath for the mainsheet attachement. Let us know and then I can give you a better answer