23.5 Depth Sounder

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I received the Hawkeye DT1B unit and installed the transducer (glue in) on my H23.5. I ended up putting it under the cockpit in the center aft access area. Just aft of the ballast tank. I got a good test using petroleum jelly. Then I used JB Weld 2-part slow-set 24 hr epoxy. I then set a small motorcycle size battery on top of it to weight it down. I think it needs to make good solid contact with the hull. Anyway, came back the next day to sail and test the setup. Works great. I still had good operation even when healed over (besides the slant angle error). The only thing I didnt like was the very loud test beep when you turn it on.
Next I need to fish the wiring and mount the display next to the companion way. I just didnt want to do that until I was sure the transducer was going to work.

Jul 16, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Cascade
I wasn't able to get a reading when the unit was mounted inside the hull. When I hung the thing off the back in the water, I got 48 ft reading in the slip which I think is wrong, as I could see the bottom and it looked more like 15 ft. I tried duct taping it down with petroleum jelly at various points inside the hull and couldn't get it to read anywhere...

Sep 30, 2016
If your reading was way off by hanging it over the side then it seems like the unit is bad. I'll post a pic later where I mounted my transducer.

Edit: Also when you dropped the transducer over the side, was it pointing straight down? It needs to be pointed down or it will read slant angles.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
This is where I put my transducer, which is the center aft access area under the cockpit of a 23.5. If you poke your head in there and look forward you can see the end of the ballast tank. I was getting good readings all along the centerline aft of the ballast tank.

Pics are looking aft from the battery area.