2018 Racing in Texas in January

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Fun racing in the rain! That separates the wheat from the chaff.

Oh, take down your ensign when racing. It's long standing tradition that you don't race with the colors up, and it also helps people know that are (or are not) racing.
Yes, fun racing in the rain! You wonder what you’re doing out on the water in those conditions, but still glad you did go and didn’t stay at the dock.

I did not know you shouldn’t fly the ensign while racing., I’ll remember that next race.
What about state flags or others from the spreader flag halyards?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I did not know you shouldn’t fly the ensign while racing., I’ll remember that next race.
There are no similar traditions/requirements around other flags, but burgees should come down as well. But as a matter of principle, we take down anything that is not part of 'racing'. But that's just how we roll. ;^)

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Yes, fun racing in the rain! You wonder what you’re doing out on the water in those conditions, but still glad you did go and didn’t stay at the dock.

It is windage aloft. If it's not moving you forward, it's dragging you backwards. And costing you time. Same thing as not cleaning your hull before the race.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah, a boat I sail on frequently never flies an Ensign during a race. If the skipper is on another boat as guest, they don't fly it either. It's a thing with him. Class flags as stipulated by SI's are OK and sometimes mandatory. In larger regattas it's nice to be able to tell who you are actually racing against. For instance, if you are going to be passed by a boat it is helpful to know if you might sail up to make it more painful to pass to windward, or hold your course and help the boat pass you more quickly.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Need more crew for this Saturday’s race, January 27th, if any Galveston Bay Area sailors want to come along and help. Forecast upper 60’s, NE 5 to 10 knots, 40% light rain at race time.
PM me if interested.

Nov 8, 2010
Need more crew for this Saturday’s race, January 27th, if any Galveston Bay Area sailors want to come along and help. Forecast upper 60’s, NE 5 to 10 knots, 40% light rain at race time.
PM me if interested.
Hmmm I'l be at Canyon Lake on Saturday doing the annual LCYC long distance race. If yours would have been Sunday I could have skipped over.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
PM me if interested.
Dang I’d love to be there. But I think I really should go to my granddaughter’s first birthday party.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Dang I’d love to be there. But I think I really should go to my granddaughter’s first birthday party.
They won’t postpone the party for a race?!?
Last year, one guy told me he couldn’t race because he broke his leg. Now that’s a lame excuse.

Nov 8, 2010
They won’t postpone the party for a race?!?
Last year, one guy told me he couldn’t race because he broke his leg. Now that’s a lame excuse.
So he has a hitch in his giddy-up.He should go sail. I've seen sicker dogs live.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Last January race for this thread. We caught the early breeze in this race and the later starters in our class didn't catch us. We were in the lead until the last couple hundred yards and ended up second in class.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Sail trim is a full time job; like in that picture; your jib is way overtrimed. You trimmers should spend 95% of their time watching their telltails. Sail fast! ;^)
C938CBE7-9B7A-418F-BD32-EDEDF13EE0F2.jpeg

Just found this photo online from last Saturday’s race 4. I adjusted the full battens looser, moved the jib sheet cars back two holes, and tried to trim looser. We were moving four and half knots at 30 degrees and 10 knots apparent. Overshot the layline to the first mark, but still took the lead on the second leg. We had our code 3 up for the last two legs, a boat with a symmetrical passed us just before the finish and we ended up second by 20 seconds.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
It wasn't in January, but we sailed in Icicle Race #5 last Saturday. The last race of the series and the annual "Judge Smails" regatta. The second mark rounding reminded of the Jeff Foxworthy quote, "It's hard to describe without inluding the word cluster".

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Just got back from a weekend of trophy presentations at SCYA's Midwinter Regatta where 600 boats and 2500 crew competed in 30 venues with light to moderate breeze in 30 venues in SoCal, AZ and NV. 70 degrees and sunny skies. What's not to like?

Nov 8, 2010
It wasn't in January, but we sailed in Icicle Race #5 last Saturday. The last race of the series and the annual "Judge Smails" regatta. The second mark rounding reminded of the Jeff Foxworthy quote, "It's hard to describe without inluding the word cluster".
'We had beer'.