2004 Bavaria 38 w/Volvo 55 hp D2-55 engine w/saildrive -- opinions wanted

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Beneteau 37 JBM, St. Clair Shores, MI
I've always been a Beneteau or Catalina owner. Am looking for my next sailboat and came across this Bavaria. I don't have experience with them, nor with any saildrive.

Any general opinions would be appreciated!

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Last time I checked the factory specs from Volvo regarding their SD, they advised replacement of the sealing gasket/membrane every 7 years. This usually involves moving or raising the engine and a day or two on the hard. Not inexpensive.
(historical trivia: our YC required a neglected sailboat to be removed from the club when the owner would not maintain the Volvo SD for way beyond a decade. The Club did not want the potential liability of the boat sinking at the dock.)
There is also the major potential (pun alert...) for electrolysis in the aluminum casing underwater. Change out the protective anodes with religious fervor.

There are advantages to them --- the builders can install them quicker and make more profit, and... alignment is not a concern, which is nice. Also, a smaller HP engine will be adequate because the thrust direction is parallel to the water surface, which also saves the builder some $.
Post up a link, if you will.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have the Bavaria 38E, 1999. Has the Yanmar 3JH3E 39 hp diesel w/ SD 31 (sail drive). I’ve owned the yacht for nearly 15 yr. I can’t say that it is in any significant way “better” than the other models you mentioned, but certainly not lesser either. It carries the EU’s “Class A” (high seas) rating as do Beneteaus of similar length. But, it’s basically a coastal cruiser. As the two-cabin, two-head model, it’s great for two couples aboard for up to about two weeks at the islands w/o needing to take on stores. This is no doubt due to Bavaria’s productions being aimed at the Caribbean, and other, bare-boat charter markets. This is a feature the admiral enjoys; room for guests.

Sail drives are nice features but require good maintenance and regular service, being made of aluminum. You get more fwd thrust power from the diesel b/c the prop blades are oriented normal to the thrust, rather than at an oblique angle as in shaft-mounted props. The boat also backs up straight; there is no prop walk as w/ the shaft-mounted props. But, as with any production boat, it has some deficiencies, likely ones that might be shared with the other models you mentioned. Perhaps, if you have questions?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2015
Bavaria Vision 46 Catawba Island, Ohio
Vegas, did you purchase the Bavaria? We have a Bavaria Vision 46 with the Volvo D2-55F / 130Saildrive. Love the boat, engine is as smooth as silk. Also like Catalina; just saw the latest Catalinas at the Annapolis boat show last fall. Very nice.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
they are very nice boats for the reasons discussed above. I also like the fit and finish, the lead keel on my model, Kevlar-reinforced bow and formidable cleats and other deck fittings that seem better than other production brands. The boat is quieter under power with a sail drive.

Nov 28, 2015
Bavaria Vision 46 Catawba Island, Ohio
they are very nice boats for the reasons discussed above. I also like the fit and finish, the lead keel on my model, Kevlar-reinforced bow and formidable cleats and other deck fittings that seem better than other production brands. The boat is quieter under power with a sail drive.
what year and model do you have? Went to Annapolis don’t show to see the new C-Line and was very disappointed. My Vision 46 has solid wood and thicker panels. The C-50 and 57 had very thin laminate that didn’t look like wood. Floors thinner and moved under foot. We were thinking about upgrading but not now after seeing the latest boats. We were told at the show that our Vision was the last of the higher quality Bavaria boats and the will most likely stop building that line. Shame.