1999, H260 New centerboard pins a little longer than original ones

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
I've received new centerboard and roller pins from the Hunter Forum store for reassembling the centerboard after having elongated holes in the centerboard bracket corrected. Please see images, attached.

The new pins are a little longer that the old ones, the roller pin is about 1/8 inch longer, and the centerboard is 1/4 inch longer. I believe the bracket has a pretty snug fit in the trunk.

My question is: is the width of the centerboard trunk sufficient to accommodate the longer pins? Thank you in advance for any guidance!

By the way, I had the new holes in the bracket drilled to be a press fit on one side, so that you have to gently tap the pins into place with a hammer. This has 2 benefits: 1) the whole assembly stays together without having to tape it for reinstalling it to the boat, 2) the pins won't rotate, preventing wearing of the pins and elongation of the holes. To create a press fit for a stainless steel pin in a stainless steel plate, size the hole to be the same diameter as the pin. It works very well.

Attachments

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Yes, I remember the bracket fits snug in the trunk. If you have the chance take the new, longer pins and hold them up the trunk where they supposed to go, see if there is enough clearance. In the case of doubt I would go an let them cut in a shop and tell the site store to correct their order measures to improve the product being sold.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sometimes the pins were either a little to short or a little longer. Not a problem. However you may have an issue when putting the housing back in as sometimes is squeezed into the opening. By press fitting those pins in may cause an issue. As for keeping the pins in place during install of the housing just apply duck tape to hold the pins in place. New pins are cot to specs

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Thank you all for your replies! I'll try to crawl under the rig and see if I can reach up in the trunk to test if the pin fits in there.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
The pins should be wider than the bracket and slide up into the grooves in the trunk. Dry fit the pins Into their respective grooves. They should just touch the sides of the trunk as they near their position in the grooves. The trunk then holds them captive. If they are cut too short they will slide to one side and disengage the bracket on the opposite side and cause the CB to bind.
Dennisimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Looking up the groove you can see the tip of the pin in second photo.
Dennis

Edit: This is 23.5; I have assumed they are similar.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am glad that Dennis kitchen posted that photo as a picture is worth a thousand words. During reassembly again let duck tape hold the pins in place. Just a small piece

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Hi all, here is an update on this topic...
I placed the pins in the bracket and inserted the bracket into the trunk (without the centerboard) and both pins were too long to allow the bracket to be fully inserted -- they jam in the trunk. The bracket is a very snug fit in the trunk. Easy fix, as the machine shop that fixed the bracket trimmed the new pins to the length of the old pins.