1994 Hunter Legend 35.5 Head Sail Size

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
Is the stock head sail from the factory a 100 or 110 or neither?...thanks....and if you were buying new sails what size would you order....I'm mostly a cruiser but like performance...does the 100 when fully out stay within the lifelines?...same with a 110...I've had sailboats in the past where the head overlaps the lifelines up front and I don't care for that....I lowered the life lines on one boat....thanks for any help....I recently purchased this sailboat and want new sails for the upcoming season..

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
It is almost certainly a 130-135. My hunter 30 and 37.5 of the same generation had/have 130s. What size you get depends on your local conditions, but a 130 can be roller reefed down to 100-ish and maintain tolerable shape.
The sail will hit the lifelines. I was going to say that you could get a shorter luff and add an 18" wire pennant to the tack to lift it up, but I'm not sure if the roller furler foil can take that load at the tack. You sailmaker might know.
Good luck with the new boat!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Can you raise your headsail so the foot is above the lifelines? I don't have a Hunter but my foot is about my lifelines. Gives me better view forward. Just a thought.

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
Ok..thanks...I ordered a full batten main and a 130 roller furling headsail...

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
So far, pretty much everyone recommends a 110 for H35/H35.5. We just bought our H35 and have a nice collection of head sails...none of them are the right size/shape, so will be selling those. Meanwhile, we are looking for someone who is selling a good shape 110 for H35. Neil Pride sails (local Long Island Sound) sailmaker makes one for $1,800, a bit more than I would like to spend. Our furler sits inside the hull (below deck) and will wrap around/touch the bow railing/lifelines. You would have to cut the foot quite a bit to gain visibility and have it not touch lifelines. We did that in our previous boat and loved it, but that brought our 140 to about 120-125, and that was a decent amount of sail to give-up....

Aug 15, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Legend 003 San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
I have a 110 on mine. Don't need anything bigger. This boat does not take much to get to 6-7 knots. If you have a Hood 810 furler (curse them) you won't be able to reliably, partially, furl anyway, all in or all out. If you are re-doing it, get the furler and the stay above the deck. That below deck thing looks nice but it's a pain in the %*&^%.