1992 Hunter 37.5 Legend keel mount

jarda

May 12, 2017
Hunter 37.5 Brouwershaven
Hi there,
Is there anyone that has some experience with the keel mount on the 37.5. When inspecting I did find lots of spacers on the most aft (small) keel bolt and I wonder if this is original or if some closer inspection would be needed coming winter.
The next (bigger) bolt also has some creative screw below the spacers...
Also I am very interested in knowing more details about the building of the hull.

Much thanks in advance!
Jarda

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
While you are waiting for an answer, look at the owner resources tab. Go to general downloads. Go down to the H's and see the conversation with Jim Bohart (RIP) from 1999.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Jarda, no idea on the screw, but the additional washers could be:
1. Keel bolts/threads were stretched and washers placed to bring the nut up to fresh threads.
2. Threads on keel bolts became corroded from age and washers used to raise nut to fresh threads.

The keel on our boat (P42) is solid lead. Unsure whether the bolts were molded into the keel during construction or inserted after keel construction.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The first could be to make the stud shorter so a socket wrench can be used. There is little throw room down there. The second? ?

jarda

May 12, 2017
Hunter 37.5 Brouwershaven
Thanks for your replies! I have asked the Hunter factory for some advice as well. The keel is solid lead indeed and somewhere I read that the attachment's are J shaped, so it is hard to believe they have moved up over time. Maybe at the time of building quality control was not as it is today.... I'll see what to do this winter, maybe drop the keel for a closer inspection. One other thing that I noticed is that the bottom of the bilge is not straight (flat) that can explain the screw underneath the spacers.