1990 Mac26S Reese hitch pulling question

Sep 23, 2017
Macgregor s Launched
Hi group. (Thanks in advance for you input)
Well it’s been prob 25 plus years since we owned a lil 21 foot Venture. Sailed it around SF Bay & Delta were not great sailers but had fun,

Fast forward to the present... We have moved to the Midwest...last week I bid on an eBay auction and won the bidding on a nice 1990 26S. due to pick it up from a charity 8 hrs away up in wesconson next Tue afternoon...

we have the crazy idea of exploring the Great Lakes in our retirment (2-3 days at a time)

I am sure I’ll have lots of questions but the first is...

My 07 Ford Explorer has plenty of power to pull the boat home but?

The SUV has factory installed small type Reese hitch Receaver (about 1.5x1.5 ?
instead of the 3X3?)

It’s rated 3500 LB...

Is it heavy enough to pull the boat home?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think you want a Class III 2" X 2" receiver hitch. The Class I/II hitch is pretty wimpy. The Aerostar I towed my 26S with was a Class III. I am not familiar with a 3" X 3".

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
If the boat hasnt been modified a huge amount and doesnt have a lot of junk in it, it possibly is under 3000 pounds (boat and trailer). That 1.5 inch hitch (1.25 is more likely?) is not really what you want for something this size but it its rated for 3500.. well.. that is marginal but possibly in spec. The trailer ball is likely 2 inch. Trailer brakes become way more important when towing with a marginally rated vehicle. A caution.. often someone does not get the boat all the way forward on the trailer and it leaves the trailer tongue light and the boat will not tow well.. might even be dangerous. Since its a new boat, you may even want to try and weigh the tongue. If its under 100 pounds.. danger. Over 150.. much better. Standards say it should be 250 to 300. Mine tows well and I think its just under 200 pnds (single axle). Old tires and bearings etc.. scary.. However if you have adequate tongue weight, you can have a blowout and the trailer should handle at least somewhat safely coming to a stop. FYI, I also have a 1990 26S and think that is a nice boat.

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
As Walt mentioned if the boat is empty and no outboard on it you are probably going to be fine, but if you are going to continue to tow with this vehicle maybe now is a good time to update the hitch.

Check the wheel bearings often, at least every hour, for heat. I had a wheel bearing failure on a box trailer coming home from Florida this past spring and I'd been checking the bearings every 4-5 hours (not often enough).

If the tires are more than 5 years old I'd consider having them changed before the trip, especially if it is a stock one axle trailer. They can look to have a lot of tread on them and still come apart once on the trip. For sure have a spare and a small floor jack or bottle jack if you need to change on the way home.

Good luck and a S is a great boat,

Sumner
=========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
According to specs, a 26s and trailer weighs around 3100lbs. So you're within the limits of the stock hitch on your Explorer. But I'd chime in with the others and say if you plan to tow quite a bit I'd upgrade to the more typical 2" square receiver. You can get a new hitch for just a bit over $100 (that's installing it yourself).

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It's not about weight as much as it's about rating. The Mac wants to change lanes when a semi goes by, and that puts a far bigger load on the hitch than you'd expect. This hitch is too small for this job under most circumstances, and if theres a lot of hills, or mountain passes at all, then you're too small.

Sep 23, 2017
Macgregor s Launched
Thanks folks... well I found out it’s a class two hitch with a limit of 3500 lb... My new Mac will have no extra equipment onboard nor does it have a motor at present.... the road we will be traveling on is flat for the most part... so... I guess we will chance the trip home with it.... and then put on a new hitch befor using ....

If anyone has a good 9.9 priced,reasonable? I’m in the market for one... as well as a roller Furler? (Which one should I get?). I have been reading and think we need one... will help keep us off the bow in a blow?

Now the mods start!

Sep 23, 2017
Macgregor s Launched
Congratulations on being sailors again!
Well... thanks... but we are not sealers yet.... currently on a 4 day trip to wesconson to pick up the Mistic Rose,

Picking up the boat on Tuesday... tomorrow we explore the doors area with my Family (Including my 6 grandkids... all,anxious to learn to sail grand paws new sailboat... first Grandma and Grandpaw have to learn again... don’t think we will have much problem.... hope it will be sorta like riding a bike... will come back I hope...