1987 Hunter 23 Bimini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
I was finally able to get out to South Haven unwrap the boat and do a test fit of the new bimini. It looks like you are right Charles, I'm going to have to move the traveler block forward a little on the boom, probably 4 or 5". It's not actually mounted in these photos, just setting on the cockpit and held in place with bungies. I'll be mounting it later this week on the next trip out.

New bimini side by Paladin27, on Flickr

New Hunter 23 bimini by Paladin27, on Flickr

New bimini mount by Paladin27, on Flickr

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Paladin27 said:
I was finally able to get out to South Haven unwrap the boat and do a test fit of the new bimini. It looks like you are right Charles, I'm going to have to move the traveler block forward a little on the boom, probably 4 or 5". It's not actually mounted in these photos, just setting on the cockpit and held in place with bungies. I'll be mounting it later this week on the next trip out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paladin27/5604068075/
New bimini side by Paladin27, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paladin27/5604653150/
New Hunter 23 bimini by Paladin27, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paladin27/5604653994/
New bimini mount by Paladin27, on Flickr
Did they have a slightly smaller Bimini that doesn't require relocating the main sheet bail?

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
Good looking install. Move it 2" forward of your bimini for good clearance. It will not change the sailing characteristics of your boat. I can tell no difference on mine when cruising or racing. The forward bimini support on mine is just loose enough to slide up and down. This allows me to lower the forward edge a few inches in the up position and then have it slide back to put the cover on it when stowed. Mine has a rear brace I don't see on yours. We only bungie the front of ours. It looks like yours could lay down on the stern when stowed. That would be an advantage. We had ours up this weekend in the slip. The Admiral came out with lunch so up it went. Have to keep the crew happy, Charles

Fly_H23, If they have a smaller one I don't know of it.

Jun 28, 2009
hunter 23 Lake Hefner
Mine has a rear brace I don't see on yours.
I'm betting that the bimini has a rear brace. I think that where the rear bungies are hooked to the bimini is where the rear brace attaches. I don't think I've used rear so much ever... :D

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
Yes, it does have rear braces which attach to those clips where the blue bungie is located in the photo. I just didn't install them yet. I'm torn whether or not I actually want them installed because then it won't be as easy to lay down against the transom. I may just use straps on the back as well. We'll see after a couple times out.

I think the main traveler is going to need to go a bit more than 2", but no more than 4" forward. I'm not worried about that small amount of adjustment.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Kermit said:
Again, really cool pictures, Paladin. I have the same lens but have not used in on my boat. And it wouldn't have occurred to me to shoot from the bow pulpit. If the camera and I fall in, I'll be sure to blame you!

I have an idea for photographing my own boat under sail with me on it. Set the camera on the shore with a wireless shutter release. Then photograph the boat as we sail by. The other option is to set the camera to shoot at either 30 second or 1 minute intervals. Wife isn't thrilled about leaving the camera on shore unattended but I think there is little-to-no risk of theft at Wateree Lake.

Kermit
There are some cool videos of a guy who mounted his video cam to a kite and flew it off the stern of his sailboat. I must try it someday soon with a waterproof camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.