1984 Hunter 27 water lock muffler yanmar 8 hp

Nov 13, 2012
hunter 27.5 madisonville
Hello, has any one had any problems with the muffler on there Yanmar 8hp powered hunter 27
Can it stop up? also can it be cleaned out ?
It dose not leak but its old and I didn't know how long they last
and if I should replace it. the exhaust is flowing however I disconnected the hose for the engine and ran a water hose in it and the water did not flow form the exhaust however,water will flow with the engine hooked up and running.
dose it take engine pressure to push the water out the exhaust?
or should it free flow with a reg water hose is run threw it?
2.jpg
Thank you

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
It would be rare to have the muffler get clogged up.. but if you are concerned, you can take it out of the boat and wash it out and inspect it.. yes, the engine exhaust when running lifts the water out of the muffler and through the high outlet hose.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
My take on this is, If it ain't broke don't fix it. I divide boat components into two categories 1) things that if they break can leave me stranded and 2) things that won't. The things that won't leave me stranded I do not worry about when they break I will find the part and replace it. The things that can leave me stranded I evaluate into two categories 1) are practical to keep a spare on board or 2) too costly or not practical because of size and installation requirements. The ones I keep spares I do not worry about as when they break I just replace them. The ones that can leave me stranded and I don't keep spares are the difficult ones to consider. I will make an assessment of their condition and try to estimate their remaining useful life. Only those where I feel there is a strong chance that the part is going to fail in short order that I will perform a preventive replacement. A sailboat is the perfect hybrid as if the engine fails the sails can bring you home. So there is not much to worry about really. For those occasions where wind may be lacking and there is a schedule to meet then a Tow Boat Membership is the solution. As far as the muffler, that does not fall in my category of leaving me stranded so I would wait until it fails. The problem with preventive parts replacement is that something other can get broken in the installation process and it might be something difficult and costly to replace. I would not touch the muffler until it develops a hole and starts spilling water into the boat.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
your diagram shows antiphon t terminating above water line. if so it's a good idea to inspect and clean your antisiphon valve . while you are stored on the hard it can get clogged up with insect nests .

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I disconnected the hose for the engine and ran a water hose in it and the water did not flow form the exhaust
Did you disconnect the exhaust hose from the exhaust elbow and fill it with the water hose or did you disconnect the raw water intake hose? If it was the exhaust hose, the water should eventually fill the muffler and hose and spill out at the disconnect unless you somehow sealed the connection between the water hose and the exhaust pipe. This is because just before the exhaust hose leaves the boat it is looped very high.

But if you connected your water hose to the raw water intake system, there is a chance that water will fill the exhaust hose and muffler and then back into an engine cylinder if an exhaust valve happens to be open when the engine was shut down. I found this out years ago on a 3gm30. Luckily, I discovered it before restarting the engine and was able to dry out the cylinder after removing an injector.