1984 Hunter 22 build thread

Nov 10, 2018
Hunter 22 Baltimore
Late this past summer, I took possession of this boat, having answered an ad on Craigslist, one which, as it turned out had been up for well over a year, and for several months after the boat sank and had been brought back up. The fellow who gave me the boat ( it was "free"), was a retired salver, who wanted to see that the boat got a good home. Initially I was reluctant as the boat had been sunk, but then there are but so many free boats, and so I thought well, at least it's a hunter, how bad can it be... When I finally decided to go and take a look at it, It was much worse then I had imagined so of course I made immediate arrangements to get it moved to my backyard, and after waiting for the water level to rise to allow for extraction of the boat, it was finally time to bring it home.
Retrieving the boat.jpg

After getting the boat to my house with the help of a local marina owner / boat mover, and adding some addl' supports to the blocking, I went to the DNR to get the title.Turned out the boat was titled in another state but registered in MD, for one thing, and that MD law does not permit gifting vehicles nor vessels outside of the immediate family. Anticipating this, I filmed a walk thru of my new mud filled waterlogged barnacle encrusted pride and joy on my tablet, which I tried to show to the gal at the DNR, who after 30 seconds or so said she'd seen enough. Reminded me of an Arlo Guthrie song. So after paying 140 bucks tax on my free boat, at last it was MY free boat. By the time I got back home, (from West Marine), it was starting to get dark, so I figured I'd clean a spot while I could still see...
Cleaning test.jpg

That weekend I began cleaning in earnest, and vacuuming out as much water as I could. There was water coming in from somewhere, or a few somewheres, and as winter was coming fast, I was growing concerned about freezing water in the bilge etc. I was also at this time trying to do a general cleanup of the outside, so that I could begin to visualize this project moving ahead. Rest assured that the cleanup was not completed that week. It in fact took a few months as I had time to get it to the point where all the dirt and mud were gone from the inside, to this day I'm still only at about 97% clean, there are a lot of nooks and crannies for dirt to get into when a boat sinks.
Topsides.jpg

There are a lot of things that this boat needed / needs... From making sure that this boat can be bone dry on the inside, to enhancing / repairing rigging and hardware, to dealing with all the stress caused me by all the stress cracks, I have my work cut out for me, but it is not my first rodeo. I have many projects planned , from small detail items, to crusability features, to performance enhancements, I won't list everything here at this moment, but will post my progress, starting with current and completed items, and then adding more as I continue thru this refit.

I hope that in posting this project, I may be of help to others who are working on similar boats, and that at least a few of you might find this to be interesting or entertaining.

Nov 10, 2018
Hunter 22 Baltimore
One of the first orders of business was to address the massive amount of water that would end up in the bilge after each time it rained- about 5 gallons or so. The drain from the cockpit was obviously failing, not to mention a seemingly bad design in the first place, so, as detailed in another thread on this forum, I redesigned / replaced it. The original drain for whatever reason, dipped down to the floor before rising back up again to exit, causing not only slow drainage, but also potential freezing.
Drain old.jpg

After evaluating several different design scenarios (Thanks Dave!!), and spending a bit of time in the bilge, (very relaxing), I decided to go with what (hopefully) makes the most sense. This was to use all new materials, and minimize the distance the water must move, using gravity where the existing configuration did not. Now in order to get to the space to work on this, (the Port lazarette, it is necessary to remove the bulkhead...
20190107_170626.jpg

I determined that the original bulkhead was beyond saving, so I mad a new one of 1/2 Starboard...
20190108_115253.jpg

I started the drain repair with much trepidation, not knowing how difficult it would be to A. remove the old parts, and B. to put on the new ones. So here's what I bought to fix this item... 3' of 1 1/2" sanitary hose, a 1 1/2" tee fitting, and 12 smooth wall hose clamps. They are more than twice as expensive as the plain ones and I recommend them for this reason: there were at least a couple of perforations in the original hose that seem to have come from abrasion from the original clamps. So these items, the starboard (1/2") and a few screws.
I removed the old parts, lightly sanded the tubes that the hoses go onto to minimize the potential for leakage, and beginning with setting the "T" to the bottom drain, fitted the starboard (far) hose first then the port side (near) hose. Took about an hour.
Drain new.jpg

After that, I installed the new bulkhead...
20190109_105419.jpg

Originally, I was getting about 5 gallons of water in the bilge each time it would rain, now any tiny bit of water that comes in is from hardware that needs to be re-bedded, and there is almost none in the rear bilge. I have yet to examine the keel system to any degree of detail, but considering the amount of water getting in from each rain, I am calling fixed on a major contributor of the sinking of this boat, if not the absolute cause. Update, I just looked at this area and though a bit of water has gotten into a few other areas via hardware leaks, this space is totally dry!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018
Hunter 22 Baltimore
Here's a quick project that I did - the tank bunk aft in the starboard side of the cockpit. No before picture here, but the area was all scratched up from (likely) a steel tank, the teak was in really bad shape. There was a port to pass a fuel line with no plate in it - we have a big problem with small animals around here, there was a random hole next to it... So the fix was to pull the teak, put some epoxy in some deep gouges, refinish with Watco teak oil and several sprayed coats of spar varnish, and as the screws were not mild steel, I just polished the heads and reused them. I spent several hours wet sanding the inside of the compartment, preserving the gell cote, and removing the scratches, Got a couple of non skid strips from Harbor Freight, put in a new deck plate and filled the hole with a phone charger for convenience (much more convenient than filling it with fiberglass). Also, I mounted a shore power inlet in the compartment. I've seen concerns from those who are reluctant to have electricity near gas, however the tank I'm getting expands rather than vents, and the compartment is wide open to the wind, so fumes cannot build to explosive levels at any rate.
20190209_151804.jpg

All that remains is to buy the tank, and the parts to make up the strap - tie down system.

Nov 10, 2018
Hunter 22 Baltimore
We all got to go sometime - Some projects are not earth shattering, though by doing them, it's just one less issue to look at. The original toilet paper roller had become water logged, and the board above it.
20190106_104010.jpg

So I replaced it with a new one all plastic. I used a piece of PVC which I sanded, and leftover starboard from the bulkhead...
20190209_151345.jpg

Now I just need to come up with a head with a shower...

Nov 10, 2018
Hunter 22 Baltimore
The outboard mount was looking a bit ragged,
20190127_120043.jpg

I had to make a new pad, which I made from a piece of mahogany I had that just happened to be the exact right size...
20190127_142945.jpg

The spring retainer was shot, and I could not find an appropriate replacement, so I got a piece of 316,
20190306_172057.jpg

And made a replacement...
20190306_185216.jpg

This actually turned out to be a project in and of itself, especially the wood finishing which just takes a long time, especially in the winter, and this bushing, which took hours to make. Also cleaning / sanding the bracket parts, but finally I wound up with a nicer looking mount...
20190307_165915.jpg

Eventually, I'll get an outboard.

Nov 10, 2018
Hunter 22 Baltimore
The Galley covers were completely shot...
20190106_121009.jpg

So I got some starboard AS to make new ones. I don't like finger holes because they can be dangerous in heavy weather, so I opted to install lift rings...
20190209_151402.jpg

Note also the floor lighting that is being installed, to minimize interior brightness for night time navigation...

Nov 10, 2018
Hunter 22 Baltimore
20181222_115222.jpg
A big project that is underway is replacement of the winches. This one has maxwell 14s all of which have worn - damaged crowns...This one is actually the best of the 3. Ultimately, I'll end up fixing these too, but I decided that for jib sheet winches I wanted to upgrade, so I got four like this:
20181121_222430.jpg

Lewmar 16 2-speed, 2 of the very old ones, and 2 that were even older...Getting the chrome off that was not falling of was extremely difficult, glass bead wont touch it, I finally ended up putting the drums on the lathe and sanding them, ultimately to 2000 grit...
20181222_175345.jpg

After polishing, I gold plated them to slow tarnishing, and using material salt and UV rated, Powder coated the centers. Keep in mind the dust in the pic is due to the fact that these are sitting in a wood shop...
20190318_165421.jpg

So as this project continues, I'll periodically post updates, if it seems that folks are interested.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Hi Maxx, what a daunting project but it looks like you are making great progress. Great to see a classic Hunter getting so much love. Just don't let all the items on the to-do list prevent you from sailing this summer!
-Z

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Had a 22 years ago, they are great little boats. Lots more room than you think. We had many great sails in ours and lots of over nighters in her.
You are well on your way to a great boat.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Lookin good Maxx ! Well on your way to having a nice boat!

Dennis

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Very nice indeed ! !
Keep posting pix and updates...I might get some MORE ideas from you.
I'm still working on my 1981 H22's (see below) finer details. It's was a salvage boat when I bought her, and I am slowly addressing renovations on a "need-to-sail" basis". So, for example, the spider cracks on the gelcoat and the replacement of the lazarette bulkhead haven't yet bubbled up on THE LIST. ;-]

P4060002.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
What is the purpose of the swim noodles on the bow pulpit?

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
The swim noodles on the pulpit are there to cushion the lashed down mast during launch/haul out transit. (it's still there from last fall's haul out).