1984 Beneteau 345

May 23, 2017
Beneteau 345 Warwick RI
HI all

I am new to the forum, so hello.

I have been sailing a 1975 Pearson 28 for the last 4 years and am now looking at A 1984 Beneteau 345. It looks like a great boat at a good price, but there is one thing about it that really bothers me. It lists noticeably to port. The owner says it is because the fuel, and waste tanks are there as well as the galley. I am not an expert on boats by any means, but almost no other boats in the marina do this, including mine.

The mast is stepped on the cabin top with what looks like a chromed steel post in the cabin. I remember when I was looking at Pearsons, that the Pearson 30 had a similar setup except the compression post was wood and was prone to rotting. A test for this was that the forward cabin door would not close properly. The 345 I am looking at has this same problem, so I am wondering if the compression post has rusted, or corroded and the cabin top has sunk a bit?
I would love any input on these issues as well as any other advice people have on this boat.

Thanks.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
It is a stainless compression post and you you should be able to inspect both ends by removing sole boards and a cover plate at the headliner. Also inspect the connection of bulkheads where the problem door is located, make sure everything is in good order (attached, no rot). The list is likely the result of the location of weighty items like batteries, tools, spares and installed items like a genset.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There have been a number of threads on this "tilting/heeling" issue. As far as the door goes, my 2006 B323 head door has some interference on the bottom edge with the step-over. It makes it just a little more push to-close, but I do not see any bulkhead detachment or any other problems so I'm not concerned..

Last edited: