1980 H27 Battery and Nav Lights Q

Apr 19, 2015
Hunter 27 Midway Marina Catawba Island Lake Erie
Currently, I have two batteries on my H27 and the only is access thru the small removal door in the aft quarter berth. There is room for one battery to sit flat, but the second battery sits at an angle just shoved in there (PO).

Was wondering if anyone had a better solution for battery storage on the H27, like a different location, separation of house batteries and engine battery? This summer we are wanting to head out and stay away from the dock for the weekend instead of day sailing and, though our electrical consumption will be low, I would like to have plenty, say two in parallel for the engine and two in parallel for the house.

Any suggestions? Unique solutions?

Also, the front nav lights (red and green bulbs) on the port and starboard. Anyone know where I can buy replacement bulbs?

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Bulbs are clear/white and accessible from inside (some boats) or outside (unscrew from hull to access bulb) Ya can get the bulbs out and get an LED replacement from this site store or West Marine or on line from someone like Superbright LED.. Make sure bulb is "warm white" so it renders the red/green correctly.

Apr 19, 2015
Bulbs are clear/white and accessible from inside (some boats) or outside (unscrew from hull to access bulb) Ya can get the bulbs out and get an LED replacement from this site store or West Marine or on line from someone like Superbright LED.. Make sure bulb is "warm white" so it renders the red/green correctly.
My mistake. You are absolutely correct in the bulbs are white and thanks for the warm white recommendation!

What I have found with some more research here is that my boat has a lens cover (bubble) over the nav nights and though the green lens is still colored, the red lenses have been known to fade to white over the years (37 years might do that).

So, some people recommended using red nail polish or red permanent marker to recolor the now-white lens to red, though I'm going to see if I can find some translucent red spray paint or try a RID dye and see if it does anything.

Thanks for your reply! Still looking for battery ideas.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Tom, if they are in that bad shape, ya might want to spring for some new LED ones that fit exactly where the old ones go?

Apr 19, 2015
I purchased a bunch of LED bulbs to replace the cabin lights last summer and had a few leftover so will see if they fit the nav lights. If not, I'll purchase some from here for the good of the cause.

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Hi Tom,

I own a 1981 H27 and my batteries are in the same tight place and without major engineering there isn't really any other place to put them. Putting LEDs in will help with reducing the draw on the batteries, and I have solar panels to help keep them topped off. I also bought some external batteries to charge my phone & tablet if I go out overnight. The only other place on the boat I pictured adding 2 more batteries and keeping the weight balanced was to put them under the drawers under the sink in the galley and access them from the cockpit locker. PITA, but couldn't see anything better.
I haven't actually practiced it, but you should have a crank to be able to manually start your Yanmar, if it came down to that. :)

Apr 19, 2015
Hi Tom,

I also bought some external batteries to charge my phone & tablet if I go out overnight. The only other place on the boat I pictured adding 2 more batteries and keeping the weight balanced was to put them under the drawers under the sink in the galley and access them from the cockpit locker. PITA, but couldn't see anything better.
I haven't actually practiced it, but you should have a crank to be able to manually start your Yanmar, if it came down to that. :)
SailormanDan - Thanks for the ideas for battery extension and storage. We have swapped all the cabin lights and will complete the nav lights with LEDs this summer so that should help. I do like your idea of putting extra batteries below the sink drawers. Hmm... I've read that golf cart batteries work well for marine house batteries so they might take up less room under the sink.

I had also thought of possibly storing some house batteries under the v-berth in the access there, but that would be out of the way for charging or a lot of line to run.

Good idea on the external batteries for charging electronics. Don't have any now, but they are pretty cheap and carry a pretty good load for recharging.

Many thanks!

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I have two solar panels strapped to the roof just forward of the sea hood coaming and fed the wires down along the handrail inside and cut a notch to run them into the battery compartment with charge controllers and cigarette plugs so I can remove them if needed. That helps some, I was on a mooring for while and that kept them topped off.
I bought one external battery with a solar panel built into it, I think it's this one: http://zerolemon.com/product/zerole...charger-with-total-3a-output-dual-usb-output/
I was also given a little inflatable light with a solar panel on it, which I will use in the cockpit at night. I don't yet do any extended cruising, so I get by Ok with what I have.
My only concern about the batteries under the galley sink is their weight and lifting them in and out of the locker, it's a reach. I have a leak back there that I haven't yet found, so that's also a problem.
Thinking about all this is making me want to go sailing.:biggrin:

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Tough to find another convenient spot for a battery. I also have two batteries in the small spot under the quarter berth. With a little juggling around was able to install tie-down straps for both and am fairly happy with the setup. If you still feel you need to move the batteries, think about using AGMs. They can be crammed into difficult to access places, laid on their sides, or turned upside down.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
image.jpeg I gave up the port side quarter berth for my 4 golf car batteries. Keeps the cable run short to the DC panel. The start battery is strapped into a battery box under the nav table seat.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
My batteries are under the port and starboard main-cabin settees-- one each side. I recommend this for every boat, as this is the best location in terms of weight distribution. The two are wired as one bank. The panel and other stuff are located above and below the quarter berth. This involves some wire but that's not too expensive and you can always just upsize the gauge if you're concerned about it. The payoff is in simplicity of access and good weight distribution. Mine are vented via PVC tubes straight back to the under-cockpit area.

Originally a single #24 deep-cycle was behind the ladder like where your inboard engine is. Hunter didn't foresee our adding a lot of battery-dependent accessories to these boats 40 years later-- mine had four toggle switches in the little panel and I still don't know how they managed with only those.