1976 Catalina 22 Cleaning and Refurbishing to Sail

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
@Gene Neill, I found the same problem with these being keel guides. They are too far under water to see them clearly. Not much use. I found the front of the trailer to be a better guide. Maybe some white rubber tubing would work better. They could be set up high enough to see but would flex over as the boat pulled on to the trailer.

Jun 15, 2016
For my next step. I'm taking on the aft port side indentation and cracks below the water line. I believe this is the main source of water seepage when out on the water.
FB_IMG_1475372724402.jpg

Since I'll be trailering the boat most of the time, I think I may have to add a bulkhead back in the aft port hold in order to prevent future oil canning. It appears that if I don't get the boat resting in the perfect location, I get some form of indentation occurring.

Jun 15, 2016
Okay, well, before the next step here are some pics of the cabin. I've nearly completed all the interior redo. There are some accessories I plan to add later but this has the cabin functionally cleaned up. Need to add the curtains and make a panel to cover up the winch with. Accessories I'm adding are as follows.
1. Led strip lights.
2. Stereo and speakers.
3. Navigation system.
• chart plotter
• depth finder
• temperature guage air/water
• wind speed / boat speed guage
4. Ship to shore radio
5. Bulkhead mount compass
6. Solar panel
7. Bow pulpit
8. Stern pulpits (Capri style)
9. V-berth solar vent
10. Transom ladder/swim platform.
11. Mount fire extinguisher

With the exception of the VHS radio I've already purchased all these items. Have plenty to do this winter. Here are the pics.

FB_IMG_1475604615346.jpg

A lot different than when I picked her up last May.

FB_IMG_1475604622089.jpg

Anchor art finally in place.

FB_IMG_1475604635838.jpg

Dinette ready to use.

FB_IMG_1475604641348.jpg

View from the v-berth.

FB_IMG_1475604646547.jpg

All that's left to be complete is adding the curtains and the aft panel covering the winch.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Not brass. Actually quarter inch plywood. It has a layer of epoxy glaze coat over it. Makes it shiny.
May not be brass, but stealing anyway...LOL! I've got plenty of Stainless hanging around and an itchy trigger finger (plasma torch, not a firearm... everyone stay calm).

Jun 15, 2016
May not be brass, but stealing anyway...LOL! I've got plenty of Stainless hanging around and an itchy trigger finger (plasma torch, not a firearm... everyone stay calm).
I can send you a template if you want one.
Happy to share.

Jun 15, 2016
:D

@C22-Daydreamer
Great job ! You sure work much faster than the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

I am at home caring for my father-in-law. So I have a little more time available than most. I would spend all my time doing this if I could.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA

You might end up taking orders and making some coin. I'd love one.

Jun 15, 2016
You might end up taking orders and making some coin. I'd love one.
I'll be glad to send anyone a pattern. If you want a finished one then we're talking around $100.00 plus shipping. Send me a personal message if you're interested.

Jun 23, 2015
Catalina 22 Vashon
Here is an idea I came up with for the aft port panel that some C22's have no access lid built-in to the panels. Instead of cutting out a lid similar to the ones I've seen in pictures and blogs. I thought, why not put the bottom of the panel on a hinge then just lay it down. Well, I did have to make a cut, but only one straight cut on the outer edge of the panel. I also added a latch that serves as a handle to lift and pull down the panel. Seems to work well for me. Pics.

View attachment 128681
Upright position.
View attachment 128682 Latch handle.
View attachment 128683 Opened with full access to hold.
View attachment 128684
Upright latched with cushion snapped in place. Latch hidden by cushion.
Very nice adaptation. I thought about a hole in the panel but your solution and execution is elegant.

Jun 15, 2016
I plan to do some single handed sailing at some point. I also have been putting up the mast by arm stronging the mast into place using the forestay. This is extremely exhausting even with an assistant steadying the mast. So I finally got my gin pole made. I made use of my other half of my keel winch hybrid so I didn't have to spend money on a winch. Total cost was around $15.00. Stingy sailor I hope would be proud of me. Here's a pic.
FB_IMG_1476725611722.jpg

Jun 15, 2016
Was able to get out and test to see if my repairs to the hull to seal up the leaking water were successful here are the results.

FB_IMG_1476837362322.jpg
This is what the bilge looked like after the first time we took the ole' girl out.
FB_IMG_1476836635571.jpg

This is what it looked like after about 5 hours of sailing after making the repairs to stop all the leaks. I'm very pleased with the results. Not a drop!